Usx has helped me a lot. Nonsense playing

I’ve never really showed my playing before, and I guess this small clip isn’t showing much either… But when I discovered Troy’s explanation of USX years ago it helped me so much in acually expressing myself on the guitar with out worrying about alternate picking.

The threads even here Index finger nail protection? - #8 by WhammyStarScream

I Love playing with USX n Troy’s work helped me understand it a lot. I still got a lot of work to do to be happy on guitar, this forum helps a bunch.

1 Like

What I’d like to do is post some improvising, and if you guys got any advice I’ve love to hear it as I’ve no one to play guitar with and improve my playing since I changed to graphic design at uni. Perhaps you can post your own version for me to learn from?

It’s quite embarrassing to post such raw and basic stuff as I’m not great at improvisation but I am working on it, I can play guitar, but I can’t really you know… I’d really appreciate some interaction with this, it’s fun for me n will help me a bunch to acually get a grip on music and not just play premade things. And It doesn’t matter what level you are, I’d love to see any, from first year learning guitar, to 40 years plus, I appreciate any help you guys can give cus I truly love this stuff.

G major backing track

And I’m not using any licks besides those few major scale shred runs. I know theres a lot of awesome players on here. Be great to hear your opinions, even if you’re saying it sucks, just tell me why :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

I’m not sure what your situation is right now, but a lot of what you are doing is kind of hard to gauge because you are trying to shoot vids of an unplugged electric guitar.

If you play like that all the time maybe due to a living situation that prohibits you from plugging in, there are certain nuances you may miss, or conversely certain things that are not so subtle.

Also too I think you are trying to sum up too much in one thread. Do you want the primary focus to be on technique, or on improving improv skills?

1 Like

Hey Whammy - you’re doing good, man! I’d like to hear you plugged in as well, but hey - I’ll take what I can get!

I don’t have a lot to add that really works in “typed words” about improvising, but I will state that I believe improvisation to be “spontaneous composition” and there’s a bunch of stuff that can lead to some interesting ideas. Fretboard knowledge, like REALLY getting to know a key signature in every direction, all the chords and arpeggios etc etc. technical ability can help, but you don’t need to shred to be able to come up with some great musical statements on the fly! Also, I think that a looper and/or the creation of your own rhythm parts can help you connect maybe moreso than a backing track created by someone else; being accutely aware of what you play over is really helpful in creating a musical statement as opposed to a superimposed Yngwie-scale sequence. That’s just an opinion of course!

Below is a video of me doing some more “opinion-ing” about it. Keep in mind the following;

• I suck at guitar (But I always have fun!)
  • I am a horrible explainer
  • I try to be musical, but I am usually not (The attempt is what’s important)
  • I need a haircut
  • My foot hurts
3 Likes

On improvisation, it’s an area I’m really bad at, listening to where the chords are going and then knowing what to play over them is my main weakness. I could practice the track and make up licks etc to make it sounds like I know what I’m doing, but thats not an honest example of my ability in improvisation, which I feel is pretty poor atm.

Thank you Scott, you can shred your ass off lol

On playing amped I can’t really do that atm, Tho I could find my rocksmith cable and play into the computer, tho I’ve no programs to add effects, any recommendations?

1 Like

My recommendation is to add no effects.

1 Like

Alright, I’ll have a look for it, tho I’ve no idea where it is. Then I’ll add to this thread with some playing.