V-shaped Strat necks

Yeah, don’t worry, no offense taken or anything, but just in the interest of presenting as well rounded a perspective as possible, my subjective experience has been thinner necks can feel awfully effortless (I think it’s the lack of wood contacting your hand along the treble side - an elliptical profile can get you part of the way there on a thicker neck of course) even if over time I find them more tiring to play (they seem to put your wrist in a less natural position). Certainly, no shortage of 80s shredders went for thinner necks, and they can’t ALL be crazy. Well, ok, maybe, but point still stands, they cared a ton about playability. :rofl:

I don’t know if I’ve ever played a V that thick, but I spent some time on a Clapton, I think, model with a V, and it just felt all wrong to me. Who knows, it may just be too far from my comfort zone these days after, um… 25 years playing guitars with a flatter, rounded profile.

You know I don’t think a V has any point if it’s not 1".

I don’t care for PC :roll_eyes:

Come to think of it, most of the 80s music I liked played more traditional instruments. Not calling anybody CRAZY! To each his own, if I have strong opinions, it’s just that, they’re mine, I’m not about to start a crusade and forced conversions :joy:

I have been always hooked up with new guitars based on their outlook, specs and many more detailed features that we guitar nerds keep thinking about all day long. :slight_smile:

Before I had ever owned a Strat clone then a US Strat, I was really into this 70’s style Strats (Big headstock, natural finish…etc) That guitar looked so cool to me, then I started checking out their specs (they were probably a specific series, can’t remember) and compare them against different Strat series.

Surprisingly, they featured some kind of V-shaped necks that I had never played.

I tried one and totally disliked it. I had a really annoying feeling between my thumb and index joint. I went for C shaped ones and it’s totally fine for me now.

Wish I had bigger hands that would not be affected by these neck profiles. :smiley:

1-3/4" wide, deep V profile. Fantastic feel overall…I struggle now with narrower necks.