Vahid Iran Shahi high-speed guitar - real or fake?

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaazzzzzaaaaaaaaaap?

Man, reading this tech stuff makes my brain hurt. Lol.

Here’s some picking for ya, boys. :grinning:

Me Tarzan… This circle picking… Ooo Ooo…
-Hanky

Dude is faking by speeding it up and hiding behind a midi file.

1 Like

The only problem with that is, he has a clock beside him with a second hand ticking. And, if you look closer, you can see his reflection and the room light reflection in the clock.

I think the dude is actually playin it.

Now that I think about it this could be sped up playing in front of a green screen?

And then the normal clock wall background put in at normal speed?

That is awfully fast… Could be fake somehow.

You don’t need to green screen it. It’s dead easy to do another take with just the clock ticking, then insert a frame over the sped up clock. The dude can actually play guitar, but the speed videos are fake AF. I’d bet my entire gear on it.

1 Like

There is a much more straightforward way to evaluate the authenticity of this and most other “world speed record” type clips you’ll find on the internet - at least when it comes to picking technique. And I know you Cracking the Code viewers can figure it out. We have a free download of your choice for the first one who does.

Hints:

1. This performance is fake.

2. No green-screening was necessary.

Ready… set… go!

2 Likes

…and of course @milehighshred and I have discussed this one along with most of the others. Most are not fakers, just naiive. However a few of the highest profile examples, including this one, are indeed phony baloneys.

2 Likes

It definitely sounds like a midi guitar.

There is very, very little string noise when he’s changing positions - and he’s playing an acoustic.

How it is so well mic’d up when he’s not plugged in and just has a mouse sitting beside him?

I doubt anyone could sustain such high tempos for a prolonged period of time, such as in this video, and have their playing remain so clean and free from error.

Watch his normal videos of him playing, he is quite fast, but nowhere near as “fast” as in this video.

Yup! And I was certainly a naive one.

The video shown in this thread, I don’t see anything “fake”. Dude just isn’t picking everything. At 350 BPM it looks like he’s only picking half the notes, the left hand SEEMS to be in the right place at the right time. But, as others have pointed out already, the midi track buries the sound of the real guitar.

How are we supposed give away freebies if you keep giving everyone the answers?? I should have sat behind you in math class.

You are right of course! Hilariously, the picking movements in this clip pretty much ignore the tempo completely. They never move beyond about 200-210bpm, even as the metronome clicks upward. And to be clear, we have no way of knowing if those movements are even playing any notes, because the audio is doctored. Probably just programmed. But that’s all that’s really happening here.

If you think you’re seeing a sped-up video, please just count the pickstrokes. It’s the giveaway every time.

3 Likes

I didn’t go through it frame by frame, but when I slowed the video down to 0.5 speed, it looked like he was picking maybe every fourth note or so. Of course, this would be obvious in the sound if we could actually hear his guitar over the midi one.

When it comes to these insanely fast world records, I’m pretty sure their hands would have to move faster than physically possible. I remember a 1600 BPM video. Assuming the guy was playing 16th notes, it would be over 100 notes a second. I don’t know much about the human body and how fast it can move, but I’d say this is impossible.

EDIT: Well, it seems that I’m late. Thanks John :laughing:

2 Likes

Commenting in this thread is the fastest human ever recorded in a laboratory setting. About 11hz, a touch faster than the world’s fastest drummer guys. Although those guys are of course amazing as well.

It’s nowhere near the fastest deliberately actuated animal movements, which so far as we know are hummingbird wingflaps at 40+hz. But when you listen the positively machine-line sound John gets from this technique, it’s clear how different it sounds from most of the faked / programmed attempts, and from the sounds us regular folks get from tremolo playing:

3 Likes

That’s good enough for me. Email is in support and tell us which download you want!

And that’s really the big kicker, right? This is what people seem to miss who think videos are sped up except for the clock. Nope!!!

I swear there’s a video of someone claiming 6000 BPM out there now.

Really?! Damn. Less notes than I thought. Haha!

Crap. I missed that line. SORRY!!!

I think he’s kind of inconsistent at the highest tempo, so it’s hard to say. I should probably watch it frame by frame to really see what’s going on.

1 Like

Nitpick here:

Hz is 1/s, as I recall (physicist in training). 24 notes in one second should be 24 Hz, right? Or am I missing something obvious about what how we’re defining one “cycle?”

1 Like

Maybe the cycle is up + down? (11 downstrokes per second… holy &*$#!!)

Yeah, but then it’d be 12 Hz by my count? If it were a simple factor-of-two error I wouldn’t have bothered asking :slight_smile: