Van Halen footage

I’ve never seen this footage before now. Pretty cool :grin:

Really raw playing.

All I can say is… Ed was the king.

1 Like

Awesome!! All kinds of great stuff in here. Edit: This is really a pretty rare find — probably the best quality Edward footage from that era that exists, as far as I know.

That’s some fantastic footage! Thanks for posting!

Unfortunately one of the vids is already taken down. Guess it caused too much face-melting.

From a technical perspective, lots of people have “passed” EVH. That was never his point.

No one appeared to have more fun or look more like a little kid playing with their favorite toy than he did. Joy is all I see.

1 Like

Judging by the dates on these uploads, it looks like this stuff all must have leaked in the past day or so, with various people re-uploading it in whole or part. Here’s the entire concert. Somewhat worse quality upload on this one, ergo probably a re-re-upload:

The footage appears to have come from someone named Curt Gooch (?) who may or may not be the individual responsible for actually filming it all back in the day. Not a rabbit hole I can go down right now:

https://www.reddit.com/r/KISS/comments/15wrp51/who_is_curt_gooch_and_how_does_he_have_kiss_and/

1 Like

And now it’s gone again.

Aaaa man…

Well was cool to see it while it lasted lol.

My personal fave is the japan 1989 Tokyo dome preformance, I saved it just incase this copyright crap happens. Hopefully some fan did the same for this 1984 preformance.

Thats something thats pissed me off over the years, various companies have literally high definition video tape of our greatest musicians yet they keep it locked away to rot as an asset, doing nothing with it, just waiting to be lost or burnt in a fire, or acually degrade because it’s on physical film.

I mean how can you not love this as a vh fan, it’s like it’s from the future. Sam and Ed screaming together.

afu intro is pretty hardcore too, most eds playing on this is realllly good.

solo on summer nights is amazing

And 5150, that into is so difficult, yet he does it with ease.

You don’t see this stuff anymore…

Ha, the Van Halen Whac-A-Mole is back up

3 Likes

45:17 was the original video.

Eds soloing, I notice it’s got very few effects on it, Might even be just him on the pure amp?

And I know ed regularly stated that he just plugged into the amp, but ed also lied a lot to keep some mystery around his playing. This footage acually sounds like direct amp playing with maybe a little reverb?