Van Halen “When It’s Love” solo

I was speaking about this on another thread, but I thought it might deserve it’s own separate thread. I love Eddie’s beautiful Clapton-esque solo on “When It’s Love”. Here’s how I have played it for quite a while now:

Troy has been helping me quite a bit and he posted a great clip but I’m still not sure I have it right.

The last lick is the part that I’m specifically talking about:

Any thoughts?

Now I’m hearing the first occurrence of the Ab note at the 13th fret of the G string in this lick as a “silent hammer-on” rather than being a picked note. That’s helping I think…

Ok, now I’ve completely overhauled how I think the solo is being played on the album.

Wow! How did you do that? I’ve changed it a little-I added a 1/4 step bend in Bar 4 on the D note at the 15th fret of the G string and a 1/4 step bend in Bar 6 at the 13th fret of the G string and some other notations. Here is how I have the complete solo now:

Notated using Sibelius. I think there’s more outside picking in bars 3-4 than in your version. Here he picks U D D, U D D for the (slightly altered note- and rhythm-wise) lick in measure 3.

Best guess at album version picking there:

Measure 4 is basically measure 2 of the Jump solo, most live versions anyway. On the studio solo he plays the 1st string on beat 2, and I think the preceding 3rd string note is a hammer from nowhere.

I’ll try that picking pattern…

Do you see the notes in the above excerpt of the “When It’s Love” solo at the 13th fret of the G string that begins that little G string run? To my ear, that first bend is a 1/2 step bend at the 13th fret and 1/4 step bend in the second bar in this picture.

Have you seen the other differences in my latest TAB?

The first bend there is definitely from G. 20% speed looping the preceding A and very start of the bent note:

I hear that Ab in the next measure go about 1/4 step sharp right before the G, which also goes sharp before the F. It’s one of those things I’d ignore for a transcription and consider incidental from the pulloff motion. The C on the 2nd string in beat 1 even goes a bit sharp, maybe not quite 1/4 step.

Hmm…I don’t consider anything incidental! I think the way I have the bends is correct, but I’ll try your picking directions and see if there is any difference.