Vengeance pedal lick question

12 30

Sorry for the poor image quality, but hopefully you’ll get the idea! I can’t figure out how Yngwie would play this without some string hopping when the G string is introduced. And this is a lick that he uses a lot. Any ideas? Thanks

1 Like

Can you find some video of him playing it? Even if it’s not the greatest shot/angle it might be helpful.

1 Like

do you know who Cesar Filho is?

this guy:

he has an Yngwie course and in it he shows one of the classic E string pedal point type licks. essentially he just does it with outside picking when he goes to the other string

its sort of funny because the lick starts on the E note 12th fret with a downstroke. He throws in one hammer so that the E note is now an upstroke lol. That way when Yngwie goes to the b string its down on B, up on E

I havent exactly mastered those type of licks but its easier for me just to start the pattern on the D note 10th fret with a downstroke and then the high e pedal is an upstroke anyway

Edit: oh snap, I didnt think he had a clip of him showing it but here it is. I dunno why but he only uploaded a tiny snippet lol. He isnt showing the hammer on explicitly but if u watch his picking u see he picks 2 notes then stalls the pick for the hammer-on to set up the outside string changes

I dunno if it matches exactly, but on his tab he shows it like this:

E----12–10–12–8--12–7--12-------12 etc
B---------------------------------------10--------

so thats D-U-Hammer-D-U-D-U-D-U etc. essentially the hammer is to flip the picking so its outside string changes

of course you could always just start on an upstroke

2 Likes
1 Like

Ahh okay, that’s making more sense now. Cheers for that!

1 Like