Vinnie Moore - The Thinking Machine - Tommo's progress + Soundslice tabs

That’s interesting, I’d only ever heard people say that EVH used to say Clapton was his main (I think he even said “only” on occasion) influence. I’ve always thought there was a lot of Paginess in his playing (listen to the Atomic Punk isolated guitar track for example).

1 Like

Here I am with a bit of a delay :slight_smile:

Firstly… at the moment I don’t know how I managed to record that (and pretty much everything else on my channel). I struggled all year to find the same level of focus and confidence to record something proper. And I do still have some time to practice and a very supportive partner, I have no excuses really :sweat: (first world problems, as they say). Well hopefully it’ll come back someday!

I can’t give an exact deadline but I’d be very happy to do it - at least for the tricky passages!

See above, I’m hoping the same :slight_smile:

@DjangoUntrained, @RockStarJazzCat, @BillHoudini and everyone else, thanks again for the nice words! Means a lot to me!

3 Likes

Killer performance. My guess is that most of the “dislikes” are people who just hate shred, because you played the hell out of this.

Why the double tracking? I don’t recall that from the original, but I haven’t listened in forever.

I’ll try to remember to take a crack at this myself, just to be properly humbled once I understand how hard it is.:rofl:

2 Likes

@Tommo, lots of sadistic, jealous, and/or just grumpy people out there. Consider the very small number of dislikes as “I’m Oscar the Grouch, and I took the time to watch (maybe),” and don’t sweat it? (Easier said than done.)

2 Likes

Yeah, what he said /\ I’ve done a ton of youtube videos over the years, mostly pickup comparison/shootout videos, and few if any have ever had NO thumbs down. I just kinda look at the percentage of ups to downs, and if I’m in the 90s, I consider that very good. Just pretend it’s a grade on an exam or something. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Well since you’ve all been so nice I’m going to show you what I’m working on - I thought it would be good to record and share a short thing to get myself back on track :slight_smile:

Still a lot to do in terms of timing and consistency (also sorry for that bend hehe), but I think I’ll get there! Not sure when I’ll manage a full recording though, maybe in a week, maybe in 2 years :sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

Two reasons (who am I kidding, we all know the order should be inverted):

1. it adds a bit of tonal variation when repeating the part
  2. some rough edges I didn’t like (present in both takes) are covered up a bit.
4 Likes

The Thinking Machine cover is great Tommo! I really enjoyed listening to that (and your other stuff).

2 Likes

:rofl: Well, this was clean as hell, I thought.

I tried the intro last night - kind of a weird-feeling riff, you’re right. Cool, though. LOTS of memorization to get this down, though, there’s a lot of variety here.

EDIT - and I’ve been listening to Moore all morning now because of this thread, lol.

2 Likes

Yeah! Let’s give the VinMan some love. A compositional genius of the electric guitar in my 100% unbiased opinion :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Holy sh*t!! That’s great tommo!

We were supposed to start practicing this together, but life got in the middle and I haven’t practiced at all in past 2-3 months. I’ll try to catch up with you until 2020 haha.

1 Like