As many of you already know I am a huge Vinnie fan, and only thanks to the amazing work of the CTC team I could finally approach his tunes in the last four years or so. This tune is one of my favourites from the VinMan. The click is not crazy (108 bpm), the key is the easiest ever (A minor), but the patterns are absolutely infernal for both hands. I ended up using a mix of alternate picking, economy picking, hybrid picking and hammers/pulloffs depending on the lick (I’ll attach a link to the Soundslice tabs below). My ability in these techniques varies, with the result that timing is not 100% tight in some runs but still overall acceptable I think EDIT: there’s also two tapped notes towards the end. My tapping is abysmal so I’m happy that I somehow pulled it off here
Here’s my best shot(s):
I’ll try to be a bit schematic to avoid a huge post like I did last time
- I divided the song in 4 parts (corresponding to the different camera angles) and did several takes for each section across two evenings (7 and 8 March). The phone camera was always on. Each session produced about 30mins of recordings.
- I spent a long time listening, then selected & glued the best takes. I also tried to get better takes in the following days but couldn’t really find the focus anymore. Thought it was time to wrap it up and move on with my life
- Audio and video are from the same performances but recorded separately. With a bit of pain I synced them by looking at the waveforms in reaper. Next time I need some clear markers for more efficient syncing
- Even after the cherry-picking there were some rough edges - to smoothen them out I decided to use double tracking in some bits (I superimposed two takes). In these parts at least one of the two Tommos plays all the notes correctly (or with acceptable phrasing), and I also get a little chorus-like sound as a nice side effect.
- Many thanks to @BillHoudini and @Twangsta who gave me excellent feedback on the tone. Here I used Overloud TH-U - I will post the signal chain later. I still haven’t found a fully satisfactory tone, but better can be the enemy of good and I wanted to wrap up this project (I have limited time for guitar)!
- More feedback on the tone and how to improve it in future recordings would be highly appreciated! Note I exclusively use amp simulators (I’m a stealthy bedroom player ).
Hope you enjoy and happy to receive constructive criticism, particularly on tone and phrasing. Would be super happy to provide the DIs if anyone wants to fiddle with them!
And here are the interactive tabs where I plan to add more technical notes in the next few days: