"Warheads" solo by Nuno: Swiping or Cross-picking?

Hi coders, hi Troy,

how do you think Nuno plays this solo, considering it starts like that:

-------------9-----------
----10-12----12-10–
–9----------------------

Nuno use his right thumb a lot as a mechanics for his picking technique…is he using swiping or cross-picking?
Tell me your opinion!

1 Like

I am guessing he uses swiping. But these types of patterns sounds so much cleaner with x-picking.

btw, these types of patterns are great for practicing

2 Likes

Here are some videos that may be helpful, I don’t know the answer myself, but good luck!.

2 Likes

I’m not sure how Nuno approaches that sort of lick, but I found a similar lick from one of the Andy Wood seminars:

https://troygrady.com/interviews/andy-wood/guitar-clips/pentatonic-ej-style-ascending-2wps/

1 Like

I am not sure how well necrobumping is tolerated on this forum, so I apologize in advance (let me know if this is not OK). I think that this is the only thread about Warheads here :slight_smile: .

I am studying this solo too and I’m pretty convinced that this is alternate picked. Look at the following live in Tilburg, 3rd December 2017:

Even better, he demonstrates it in a Young Guitar “masterclass” from June 2014:

If you slow the YG video down, you will hear that the second note of the pattern (on the B string) does not ring clearly most of the time.

1 Like

Hahaha I had never heard this term before.

I think this is totally fine, as you are clearly adding value to the discussion, no matter how long ago it was created.

Also, welcome here :slight_smile:

1 Like