Weightless Straps

Has anyone had experience with “weightless” Straps? Such as used by Buckethead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVCOKbYKQm8

I recently got a fender weightless strap and it feels great! The guitar just feels really good without the solid straps I’ve used in past.
I’m wondering if they last long though.

Man I love buckethead. What a beast. Guess you need the strap to do that rubber band trick.

1 Like

Has no one tried these? Honestly, the one I got is so comfortable. I’m really surprised they are not talked about more.

It may not be this specific brand, make, but my friend used something similar and I personally hated it. They are VERY elastic, which is why they feel weightless. His strap felt like his guitar was on the end of a Slinky. I suppose once you got used to it, you could make it work. For me, when I bend a string or add vibrato, I wiggle the guitar more than I thought. I his guitar, the whole thing would move so much, that I would throw everything out of tune.

Now, this might be a different setup. I have seen some with two straps, that seem to be a better concept, like a baby carrier for guitar.

For me I really like that you can move the guitar around easily, and maybe thats why it was too wobbly for you initially. But once you’re use to it, it’s like the guitar is floating in your hands, I really like it, lets you move a load with it feeling lightweight.

I can see that. I think it’s a matter of adjusting to the new strap. I have a B-bender tele that acts the same way. The B-bender is attached to the front strap button. You push down on the neck, the tension against the strap then pulls the b-bender arm and the b string goes sharp. Well, just rocking out and playing aggressive pulls the b string sharp. I have to remind myself to play differently.

1 Like

I’ve never tried one of those, such an interesting idea though…
I’d love that for all the strings to replace the whammy, now that would be awkward lol n fun!

There are some creative aftermarket mods that put the levers on the bridge. So the G string has it’s own reverse whammy bar lever right on the bridge. You palm activates it. Some of the Nashville guys have more than one string with these, so they really get that pedal steel sound.