Welcoming Tommo to the Cracking the Code Team!

If you’ve spent much time on our forum, you know @tommo for his amazing covers of the likes of John Petrucci and Vinnie Moore. Here’s one of the best, a cover of Vinnie Moore’s “The Thinking Machine”:

Another of our favorites is this classical-style tremolo etude, a stunning variation on Recuerdos de la Alhambra:

What is significant about this arrangement is that Tommo is using strategic hybrid picking to make an impossible thing possible using downward pickslanting mechanics. And having an overt understanding of the actual mechanics, as we’ve investigated them, is rare even among great players.

This should be no surprise, considering that Tommo is also an impressive scientist. In his post as a theoretical physicist at the University of Nottingham, he studies such things as quantum optics and mathematical physics that frankly make calculating pick trajectories sound a bit like child’s play!

From posting generously detailed writeups on his recording projects, to sharing suggestions for how to rearrange passages for more efficient mechanics, to the above-mentioned virtuosic show and tells, Tommo has been a prolific member of the community here for quite some time.

In his role at Cracking the Code, Tommo will continue to offer his expertise here on the forum, now in a more official capacity. He’ll be helping with technique questions, video critiques, and contributing to upcoming lesson ideas.

Please join us in welcoming Tommo as part of the Cracking the Code Team!

25 Likes

I’m so happy for you @tommo!

Good job on CTC for offering him a role, well deserved is an understatement!

Tommo has helped me a lot with my technique over the past few months, he’s a great teacher and a great guy, not to mention his playing. :smiley:

7 Likes

Awesome news! Definitely has helped me with my technique. Welcome.

4 Likes

Cool :smiley:

Congratulations, @tommo! Definitely a great addition to the team.

Maybe at some point you could do a brief showcase-type video? Would be very neat to have something along the lines of “Hey folks, I’m Tommo and here are the main techniques I use, with some examples of what lines I apply each to”.

Also the Recuerdos variation is awesome; one of those pieces I watch and immediately after go “I should go work on hybrid picking”

2 Likes

:metal:t4: :metal:t4:

Congrats, brother @Tommo!

2 Likes

Welcome Tommo!

Thanks for sharing your expertise here!

2 Likes

I’m excited to see @tommo research and teach in plectrum science as well physics!

4 Likes

Welcome aboard!

I’m gonna check out your vids. I hear good things about you.

Sherp

2 Likes

Very cool, @tommo! Congrats on the new role.

2 Likes

Congratulations Tommo! Your playing certainly deserves the recognition.

PS: I’ve not been reading the forum much lately and it looks like I have quite a few Tommo videos to catch up on.

3 Likes

Tommo is the man. Great choice and congrats Tommo!

2 Likes

Thank you for the great support everyone :slight_smile:

I’ll do my best to contribute to the coolest project in the history of guitar education \m/

12 Likes

Congratulation Tommo! An compliments to CTC team for having Tommo on board!

2 Likes

Most excellent Tommo and team :slight_smile:

Now I get to ask a science question in exchange for an EJ question. Deal?

2 Likes

Congratulations Tommo!

2 Likes

Fantastic news @tommo

This place just keeps getting better. Kudos to the team for recognising deserving talent.

3 Likes

Nice! Congrats @tommo!!

2 Likes

Looks like you’ve earned a well deserved position in the Cracking the Code Team @tommo. I am both happy for you and myself, the more I look around the forum and the offerings here, the more confident I am to have found the perfect place to learn Guitar.

3 Likes

Awesome, @tommo! Well deserved! :slight_smile: Congrats!

2 Likes

Congrats Tommo, you’re the man!

2 Likes