What Am I doing Wrong?

I know this will be practically impossible to answer without a video. I can make one later if necessary (my phone’s sound recording is fucked up for some reason).

I’ve watched masters in mechanics and some seminars. I get why two way pick slanting works. I’m doing it. Yet I’m still stumbling over my licks. I’m not new at this, I’ve been playing 20 years. Most of that time was spent as the rhythm guitarist/singer of my band, so I didn’t really get into lead playing until the past 6 years or so–but I’ve worked super hard these past 6 years to be as good a lead (and all around) guitarist as possible.

Whenever I try to put fast runs together, I get halfway through it and stumble. I look at the mechanics causing me trouble, and they seem to be accurate and correct. I slow them down and do it correctly and it 's fine—then I speed up again and stumble again. It’s so frustrating.

I think I need a magnet. I saw how to make one myself but it looks beyond my ability, skill wise. I know this is kind of a pointless question considering you guys can’t see me play, but does anyone have any idea what could potentially be causing this issue?

Thanks for taking the time to read. Rock on guys.

1 Like

Can you point out one (or more) cause(s) that makes the run fails ? Does it happen at specific moment, or more randomly ? Is it fretting<>picking synchronization issue or more of a mechanic pitfall ? or both ? Or is it that you tense up when speeding up ?

Also one thing : Unless you to find out and work out the specific issue you have you might as well NOT repeat again and again the same run in the hope that one day you’ll go through it. Frustration can morph into mental block and that surely doesn’t help.

1 Like

Yeah, a magnet would definitely help here. It might depend on what kinda runs your doing.

Almost all players have a weakness for certain kinds of string transfers. The first thing I tell guitarists… is can you play 2 note per string ascending/descending phrases starting with a down-stroke, and then an up-stroke. That’s a really simple, but powerful litmus test to see if you have a problem with specific types of transfers.

2 Likes

I browsed some other comments here and I think at least a huge part of my issue is that I’m string hopping rather than swiping. I spent a few hours last night practicing swiping through the string and landing on the rest string below (while upward pick slanting) and things seemed to improve a tiny bit.

1 Like

I think it’s best to get good at 1 way pickslanting before attempting 2 way. Since you said you are an UWPSer I would first get comfortable with that and also use some Economy Picking to get around certain string changes. With UWPS + Economy the only string change you cannot do is an Ascending Inside (Upstroke on low string to downstroke on high string). You will have to rearrange fingering positions and use some strategic legato to force the right pickstroke to change strings to fit this 1WPS world.

Once you are comfortable with UWPS then learn DWPS. If will feel awkward at first but keep practicing to build synchronization and do DWPS + Economy.

Make sure the motions for 1WPS are linear- straight in and out of the string. Rest stroking might be a good idea to practice the linear line of the Stroke. We want to avoid any bouncing of the Hand.

Once you have DWPS/UWPS working individually then you can start combining the two slants by working the Rotational Movement between. And you should also have Economy Picking In both directions now!

1 Like

@DJ_Ddawg I’m actually using DWPS primarily. I understand the point of getting down single directional pick slanting first, but one directional pick slanting is really limiting. I don’t want to have to write/play licks based around the orientation of my pick slant. Two way pick slanting/cross picking is clearly the way, in my opinion.

1 Like

A lot can be done with one way pickslanting honestly. It’s less of a complex movement than 2 Way or Crosspicking and still very versatile.

If The string changes are wrong then try starting on an Upstroke to flip them. Hammer Ons and Pull offs can add a different sound to your playing and help mechanically when descending. Swiping for DWPS is very helpful with any ascending Patterns. Sweepings let’s you play ascending 1NPS Arpeggios and use the DDU Pattern. And of course you can refinger something to make it work mechanically. You also have the option of doubling up the phrase to make an odd number of notes turn into an even number.

DWPS Style Movements are also half the equation in 2WPS or Supinated Crosspicking (the upstroke) so it is worthwhile to perfect it.

1 Like

Thanks @DJ_Ddawg , that makes a ton of sense. I have a related question. What’s the difference between string hopping and cross picking? Is it just how much vertical “lift” happens when changing strings? If we’re doing strictly alternate picked 1NPS arpeggios, the correct method would be cross picking and the incorrect method would be string hopping, right? So is the only difference between the two movements how high the pick moves above the strings?

It’s about he motions used to create the double curved escape. Stringhopping using Wrist Extension on both the Up and Downstrokes. This tired of the wrist muscles and also limits fatigue since it’s the same muscle constantly firing away. Crosspicking used antagonistic muscle groups to create the double lift. For a Supinated style of Crosspicking the Wrist Extension will only appear in the lower half of the movement (during the downstroke), on the way back it is Wrist Flexion and then the upstroke will be cleared from either Radial Deviation or Forearm Rotation.

Hmm…I’m not sure which one I’m doing. I thought swiping would eliminate the problem if i was string hopping.