What can I expect from a MiM subscription?

I have been following CtC for a while now and really enjoy and appreciate everything the team have done, and I have learned a lot.

As a result, I have been considering getting a Masters in Mechanics subscription, and I am wondering what kind of content I can expect from a subscription, and how does it compare to the pickslanting primer (which I currently have)?

(Stupid question alert :rofl:) I presume that because I already own the primer, with a full subscription, I will still keep the primer if I cancel the subscription after a while?

Thank you!

1 Like

No such thing as stupid questions, but I think you’re correct about how that works. You’ll keep the Primer because you’ve already bought that and it’s a “for life” product. That’s my understanding! I don’t work here though lol @Troy can confirm.

The other perks are the AWESOME interviews. That’s probably what I use my subscription for the most. I love seeing the close ups and also the great tabbed examples so I can (attempt to!!!) play along with some of the best players in the world.

You also get guaranteed feedback if you want to create a “platform” critique. I think you actually lucked out once or twice and Troy commented on your playing when you put a feedback request here. When you have a membership, you get guaranteed feedback from Troy’s instructor team. Since getting that feature up, Troy’s left the forum critique requests up to the community largely. Members are encouraged to use the “platform” for critiques.

You also get to review these “platform” critiques that others have submitted (as long as they were marked as “public”). You won’t be able to add comments, but you’ll see how the instructors have guided others on their picking quest and there’s lots of little great nuggets and tips. Super useful for our own playing. Not sure if you’re into teaching at all (most guitarists who are serious end up doing some form of it) but I see these critiques being useful for ways to help us teach others.

To me, MiM subscription is far and away the best value of all the products here and why I keep renewing mine.

1 Like

Great thanks @joebegly, thats really helpful!

I was hoping it would have this, to help me expand my (what I would consider lacking) vocabulary of cool licks and phrases :slight_smile:

It’s very, very well done. If watching the interview in real time, any clips that come up where there are linked tabbed examples, you’ll see that get called out right beneath the player:

And it take you to a dedicated clip backed by a SoundSlice player where you manipulate the speed, set start/stop points/loops etc.

Each interview also has an “index” of all the clips so you can browse around those too and just sort of cherry pick licks.

1 Like

OMG @User-001 I can’t believe I forgot about the seminars…They are probably even more fun than the interviews. Definitely more specifically geared to get us playing better. The interviews are more “descriptive”. Seminars are

• Yngwie
  • EJ
  • General one on mixed escape
  • New one for playing awesome stuff with 100% DSX

I can’t believe that wasn’t the first perk I mentioned…

2 Likes

I’d say to just give it a shot for a month, to give yourself the opportunity to see all the aforementioned things with your own eyes and take note of what interests you. Then you can decide if a longer subscription is worth it.

2 Likes

I felt that the “TV series” thing, or whatever it’s considered, was easily worth the first month. The Pickslanting Primer was worth a few. Me and the subscription are basically even at this point. Now, take into account everything in the seminars, each of those are worth quite a few months to a year on their own. I have a long time to catch up because I’ve barely touched the interviews, lol

1 Like

So in comparison to the primer, is the rest of the MiM content sort of putting what is learned from the primer into more context and playing?

Perhaps in some ways, but I approached the PP as way to narrow down the motions I should be using, or wanted to use or what I was actually using. And the other stuff was more of ways to apply it using specific players. I came here to learn how to EJ but I’ve gotten an incredible amount of insight and knowledge into a ton of other facets.

1 Like

Highly recommend because even if you cancel you still have all the tablature of exercises. Troy and team have created learning material that is second to none.

1 Like