What contraptions are you using to record your videos?

For the technique critiques that I’ve submitted so far, I’ve just been holding my phone with my left hand as I was just doing tremolo picking on a single string. If I want to record myself fretting notes, and I don’t have the kickstarter phone holder thingy, how are you all setting up your phone for recording?

I do have “the kickstarter phone holder thingy,” but for a lot of the clips I’ve filmed, it’s been easier to just balance my phone leaning on something or put it on a music stand and play in front of it.

I’ve used a short mic stand on a table. You can use painters tape if the mic clip isn’t holding the phone tight enough.

I have a magnet, but for wider shots I’ve used a small tripod for my iphone that I put on my desk. IIRC I paid a few bucks for it on aliexpress way back when. I think this could work like a magnet too if you used the built-in optical zoom and angled it just right.

The biggest problem I have with this setup is that I never know what I’m filming until I’m done recording. I had to record many takes until I got a good one for my last TC. It took me like 45 mins to record 3 minutes of video and edit and split into three 15s clips. Obviously got a newfound respect for the recording and editing that goes into making CtC after that experience!

1 Like

I do have a Magnet for up-close picking views, but have used either my phone’s camera, or the one in my iPad to record wider shots.

The Magnet is incredibly convenient and effective. A decent tripod or mount positioned properly is nearly as good, though. The difficulty is getting it to ‘agree’ with your natural playing position and not moving around too much while filming.

I got myself a tripod, I’ll try it out once I’m back home from the holidays.

I bought a few clamps from Lowes (soft tips and screw adjustment for fine tightening). One (larger) clip fits on the neck (at the 12th fret where the neck is connected to the body and meatier) and a couple (very small ones) to attach my iPhone to the larger clamp. Works fine.

I bought a goose neck that clamps to my desk. Works beautifully.

1 Like