What Do You Think About Being Called A "Shredder"?

Would you be proud to be regarded as a shredder? How big of a compliment would you consider it? I’ve been giving the subject some thought and it seems to me that the whole concept of being a “shredder” is at least somewhat unusual. What other instrument has a special word used to describe someone who does on that instrument what a “shredder” does on guitar? What is the equivalent term for “shredder” for somebody who plays the equivalent of shred style phrases or solos on piano? How about saxophone? Or cello? How about drums? I’m not aware of any terms for players of any of those instruments which are the equivalent of the word “shredder” to describe a specific type of guitar player, are you?

What does this say about guitarists and specifically “shredders”? Is being called a shredder a compliment? Or is it some bizarre obsession with playing rapidly that rarely afflicts the players of other musical instruments? It’s certainly a compliment to a pianist or saxophone player to be told he has great technique or great chops. I don’t think there’s any controversy over that. But how about when a musician’s chops define him to the point that a specific word had to be created to describe he is that type of guitarist - a “shredder”? I’m not aware of an equivalent term for “shredder” for pianists or trumpet players or saxophone players, are you? if only guitarists have a special word to describe players that are classified as “shredders”, why do you suppose that is?

There are people who who have called me a “shredder.” It didn’t bother me. I didn’t feel insulted. I even felt complimented because it meant they thought I had great chops. But is it really a compliment if the word “shredder” defines the type of guitarists you are?

Virtuoso - one who excels in the technique of an art; especially: a highly skilled musical performer (as on the violin)

Certainly these examples of virtuosos show tremendous ability to play fast, complex musical pieces. There’s no doubt that speed was part of their musical arsenal. I’m not sure (and maybe you can confirm this one way or the other), if virtuoso implies so much use of speed and flashiness as the word “shredder” does. i’ve always thought that virtuoso could also apply to a masterful ability for vibrato or simply to have the technique to play a slow piece of music particularly beautifully. If so, that’s something clearly outside the generally accepted definition “shredder.” In other words, to be a virtuoso, one has to have the technique to play fast and clean musical phrases, but I don’t think a virtuoso is defined by his use of speed in the way that a shredder uses speed, often using speed for speed’s sake.

1 Like

Yeah, I see the definition of virtuoso much like you describe here. Speed isn’t the only factor to consider in virtuosity. Whereas, shredding implies high speed.

Personally, I’d be proud to be labeled a shredder.
IME, the only people hat trash talk shredding are those that can’t do it.
Let’s face it, it’s hard! It takes a LOT of dedicated and specialized practice to do.
I’d submit that damn near anyone that has ever picked up a guitar because of some form of rock music that has inspired them, has attempted shredding. Hey, it’s not for everyone.

Why is it that you never hear shredders trash talking blues guys? Why is David Gilmore the pinnacle of “emotion” playing? No doubt he is a master, but he’s not the be-all end-all.

1 Like

It’s become a bit of a catch-all term these days.

But I would say yes, in agreement with the other posts in this thread that virtuoso is pretty much the equivalent. Not just that, but shredder doesn’t necessarily mean just speed. I think we can all agree that a great shred player or hard rock guitarist or neoclassical fusion player, whatever you want to call it, not only has great speed and technical facility but also great vibrato, note choices, melodic sense etc.

There is a specific vocabulary that has been created over the years by all of the great rock guitarists in history, most notably peaking in the late 70s and 80s with the arrival of Eddie Van Halen, Randy Rhoads, Yngwie Malmsteen and all the Shrapnel players. I think we can all agree that all of these great guitarists not only had great technical abilities, but were also soulful, melodic and exciting players.

So I think the term shredder could be considered insulting if the person is suggesting that the player is all speed and nothing else. I personally don’t love players that sound like typewriters. There’s a lot more to stringing it all together than just playing fast, and we all know what that is.

Depends on the intent, TBH - for me, I see the big difference between “virtuoso” and “shredder” is the former refers purely to being a highly accomplished musician with a high degree of technical control over the instrument and is very hard to use in a dismissive manner, whereas the latter can mean a virtuosic still level, but can also be a way of diismissing a player for playing too fast and not having anything “meaningful” to say (whereas a virtuoso is certainly capable of playing fast, but you could also just as fairly refer to a classical performer’s virtuosic performance through a slow, languid piece based on their touch on the instrument, vibrato, phrasing, etc).

If someone were to call me a shredder and mean it as praise, then right on. If they were to call me a shredder because they thought all I did was overplay, eh, I’m not going to lose any sleep about it as long as I’m having fun. However, I don’t think I’ve ever heard someone called a virtuoso and had it come across as insulting.

Idunno, maybe we guitarists have gotten too damned good at playing fast, and it’s become a bit of a cliche. :rofl:

1 Like

Yes, that’s pretty much what I was getting at. There is no way that being called a virtuoso is insulting. if some is called a shredder, it could mean they’re a great player who can play fast, or it can mean they’re someone who can’t do anything but play fast. It all depends on the context.

You know, the only other thing I’ll add, is I wouldn’t call myself a shredder (OR a virtuoso) because I don’t think I’m anywhere near good enough. :rofl:

1 Like

I just love tearing up the fretboard even if at times it ain’t that musical, machine gun picked diatonic scale sequences put a grin on my face every time…I’ll wear the shredders badge with honor!! :slight_smile: