What does a high and low action really mean?

All of this talk about YJM’s high action made me really curious: What is the difference between a “high” and a “low” action? At first I thought it was more about the vibrating string smashing into frets (a low action), but now I realize that’s only half the story.

Let’s say I have a guitar and I’m playing on the 2nd string, where I’m holding it down on a fret. The 1st and 3rd strings might not be held down, so they will be much higher [measured from the minimum distance to the pick-guard] than the 2nd string. So, if I want to hit the 2nd string with a pick, I can’t come in too flat as I’d hit the 1st or 3rd. However, if I want to switch, to the 1st or 3rd, they are easy-to-hit targets because they are much higher than the string that I’m picking, so the technique might be more forgiving for switching strings.

All of my guitars have low actions, but I never thought about it… now, I wonder, which one is better? I think a high action will undoubtedly sound better because no smashing between the string/fret, and the huge hight difference between fingered and un-fingered strings might be a bonus. Then again, the low action makes a fretted and un-fretted string look relatively similar from the perspective of the pick. :thinking:

Now I wish I had a high-action guitar to experiment with! :rofl:

Keep in mind that you’ll likely end up lifting your fretting finger and placing one down on the subsequent string simultaneously. Therefore, both strings get picked at about the same height. So while I could imagine this effect existing if you jump to an open string, I’m not sure it would matter otherwise.

Yes, an excellent point! So, would the higher nearby strings be good for muting purposes, perhaps? :thinking: