What fingers do you use for the six note pattern?

Hi all. I was just wondering what fingerings everyone uses for the Yngwie six note pattern?

I’m still working on the single string version and am about there at 100 BPM but I’ve found that I’m a bit faster doing it with fingers 1, 2 and 3 than I am with 1, 3 and 4.

I guess the most sensible thing to do would be to practice both ways or stick to the one finger per fret rule with 1, 3 and 4.

Anyway I’d be interested in other’s viewpoints on this.

Cheers

Same here. I started with 1,3,4 then switched to 1,2,3.

Having thought about it I think to be able to play repeating patterns up and down and across strings it’s best to use the one finger per fret rule.

I’m just going to practice with the correct fingerings slow and fast until I get used to it.

Mechanically, your finger independence is theoretically weakest between 3 and 4, due to some shared tendons between them, so 1-3-4 is going to be modestly less efficient/more taxing than 1-2-4 or 1-2-3. In practice, unless you’re playing at truly insane speeds, the difference isn’t huge and with practice you should be able to ue any permutation pretty quickly, but if you’re running into problems and your picking seems dialed in, it might be worth trying alternatives to 1-3-4.

Set a metronome for a stupidly slow speed and stick to one position for five minutes straight, looping the exercise over and over and over, preferably while watching something, You don’t need to even be plugged in.

For example, G string, frets 9-11-12, or the six-note pattern you mentioned. Try 1-3-4 and 1-2-3 as either 8th or 16th note triplets. Whichever one is easiest, go with that.

Why so slow? Does it not make more sense to try the various fingerings at a realistic range of speeds? Say slow, medium and fast?

1 Like

That’s what I’ve been trying with the new phrases I learn. I first internalize the fretting hand fingering, then stablish a “efficient” picking strategy and play it at a not-so-slow speed.

Totally the best approach I’ve known so far.

Also I’ve veen doing technical exercises while watching or listening stuff so I don’t get bored, usually I also drill new licks while watching any old documentary.

There was a guitarist who worked at a cinema, he was in charge of reproducing the movies. And during movies he practiced guitar. He says this was crucial for his technical development

It definitely does make more sense, but guess who wants to be lazy and make things as easy as possible while bingewatching YouTube videos? :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

1 Like