What is your highest ranked solo you have ever heard?

Lukather, Hold The Line (not me playing, just an impeccable cover):

Marcello, Superstitious:

Marcello, Tower’s Callin’ (every solo off this album is amazing):

1 Like

Can’t forget some Alan Holdsworth - this segment right here, what the hell is happening

3 Likes

My two favorite Jason Becker solos, Dweller in the Cellar (second part of the song) and Cacophony’s Images :

3 Likes

@bradejensen alright so over the last day I worked out a version of the short, second solo from Snakebite because I always thought it was super cool. Paul I’m pretty sure does this wide interval legato thing - but I re-wrote it as sweeps/sweep tapping because well I’m better at that lol.

Still a bit rough but I’m not not sure if I want to spend time refining it too much - I think I managed to find fingerings that were (relatively) pretty comfortable if you have a preference for sweep picking.

Soundslice:

2 Likes

You know what’s crazy is I was actually in the process of figuring it out by ear. I had it ripped off YouTube last night, changed tempo in audacity, started listening to it, and I was like, not today, and fell asleep. Even slowed down I could tell it is just to involved. It made me sleepy. I might look at it soon, and try to incorporate that middle finger pluck method that all these new guys are doing.

I am more into gypsy jazz style lines these days, and working on my half rest stroke technique, getting it faster.

This is good work, if you made it this far, maybe do it all. But yeah if it isnt something you want to refine I understand that, only so much we can learn at a time.

1 Like

I found this last night, and I had to see if he was actually using half rest stroke. But it looked like he wasnt, but it looks more like DSX on the descended lines.

I almost made an accident in my pants thats how impressed I wouldve been, but when I found out it wasnt half rest stroke I actually had a sigh of relief. Almost had a mild heart attack though.

2 Likes

Are you talking about this 'swybrid’ picking technique I’ve been seeing? Recently I’ve this picked up by a number of different online guitarists teaching it, usually referencing Marshall Harrison on it. Been using more hybrid picking lately after re-watching a bunch of Chris Broderick stuff, definitely a technique /set of techniques I want to work on.

2 Likes

The half rest stroke?

You don’t want to know. :laughing:

It is the hardest picking to deal with on guitar.

It’s like doing a gypsy jazz minor add 2 lick line, but in reverse descending. And when you switch strings you always do downstroke, it’s called half rest stroke, because you don’t really rest.

Lol the middle finger pluck method

1 Like

Oh pluck would be like doing those string skipped arpeggios and using your middle finger to help with speed instead of trying to outside stroke the string just go straight to it with a middle finger to save time. Yes like swybrid, if you watch that very first video of that guy Max Ostro, he does it in that video. Cesario does this too, it really is the easier way to go about it, I mean why really bother like you say refining things to much when you can get really close with a middle finger, and keep going with other things instead of trying to spend to much time on something that is wasting time. Plus if it helps to stay calm and relaxed its a win win in my book because that is going to make you sound more proficient if you can remain calm under pressure. Not to mention it is going to allow you to keep going, and sustain endurance to keep playing faster phrases.

For a note that is going to last only 1/12 of a second to worry if its articulately picked with extreme precision when you can get like 80% of the sound from your middle finger well sometimes you just got to take the shortcut method as its much to enticing at this point to try to develop some technique that you will always have to maintain to execute that is a super steep degree of maybe never attaining. :smiley:

Heck you could really use any of the fingers actually now that I think about it. Think like when you are playing an open D chord with pick tucked into your upper portion of your index finger then pluck chord with thumb, middle, ring, & pinky. The way the fingers are just naturally there when you are holding the pick. So just use whichever finger is closest to the string you need to jump to then use the pick to downstroke the next motion.

1 Like

Well, string skipping isn’t the difficult part for me so much as some of the stretches - similar problem with Jeff Loomis. Can I play the string skipped parts from Miles of Machines when I really put in the time an effort? It seems like I could eek out a mostly correct performance for a recording if I keep grinding at it and I intend to because I want the satisfaction of doing it - it’s one of the pieces I’ve chosen to put in that effort to really work through, but live? There’s no way I can get it comfortable unless I revert to something that fits my hands well. I have fairly big hands - but Jeff Loomis and Paul Gilbert have dinner plates - I can’t compete with that by using the same techniques they do and expect not to pay for it in terms of discomfort.

That’s why I like this series where Dean Lamb goes through learning difficult pieces and talks quite a bit about fingering because he has smaller hands Dean Attempts to Learn EP.2: Jeff Loomis - YouTube

Dean is definitely a pretty elite level player with far more time and experience in it than me, and it’s super nice watching him work through some tough pieces without too much editing down, he’s certainly far quicker at finding optimal fingerings/learning by ear than I am but I see that it’s clearly something that’s been refined over time, and I get to watch all his mistakes and how he goes about it.

1 Like

Wow, that tabbed version is so beautiful, I haven’t heard of him before this. Thanks.

1 Like

If you liked that one you will like this one also.

2 Likes

That lick at bar 41, damn fine playing and comp. Thanks for sharing these.

2 Likes

Images is unbelievable. Same as Altitudes, how the f do you come up with that at 16/17 years old. Wow.

1 Like

You will probably like this one too.

Now I think this guy might be half rest stroke player. I haven’t watched to much, but I might look at learning this one soon so I will update when I find out. But it seems from the way the lines look that it is probably half rest stroke.

1 Like