What kind of guitar is Shawn playing in Power Licks?

I think that is an Ibanez custom based on the Ibanez Ghostrider model.

1 Like

the pictures in the link don’t work for me :frowning:

It looks like you’re right though! What a gorgeous guitar. I wish they still made it.

Keep scrlling - there’s a few hosted in the thread. It’s a cool guitar, I’m also curious about the angle (depth in the body, not top to bottom) of the neck pickup you can see in a few of those pics and a few guys have commented on in that thread.

1 Like

The production Ghostriders were built by Samick from 1994 to 1996. They were entry to mid level guitars. The model most similar to Shawn’s is the GR520.

Shawn’s guitar was one of only a few Ghostriders that were actually built by Ibanez, at the LA Custom Shop.

I know the neck profile was based on Shawn’s Roland GR 303, which was his main guitar before he got his Charvel 750XL. I also know that the pickups were Dimarzio PAFs. Shawn’s Ghostrider had 24 frets, while most other examples had 22 frets. I believe this may explain the angle of the neck pickup that @Drew points out. This was likely the only 24.75" scale archtop platform that Ibanez offered to endorsers at the time.

Shawn also had a custom Ibanez Sabre, which had a vibrato system (I think the Lo Pro). He stopped playing the Charvel publically after he received it, likely as part of his endorsement deal. Shawn was playing Vigier from late 1995 until his death.

2 Likes