What picks are you using?

Oh really? That’s interesting. I’ve never really found that. I play them purely for the sharp tip, makes the speed stuff easier for me. Liking the looks of @NickJennison’s picks. May pick up a few of those!

@TheCount - Tom’s a great guy, with really good customer service. If you shoot him an email, he might send you some to try. They’re available in a bunch of different sizes, including some total monsters that might be fun for hyper picking.

1 Like

How long do they last? The swiss picks are the everlasting gobstopper of the pick world, they don’t look like I’ve even touched them. Does the sharp tip keep it’s point?

The Winspears look cool, but they are too expensive for me to be honest.

Hard to say at this point (ba bum!) but I’ve been using my current batch for a while and I’ve not managed to wear the tip much/at all. Ask me in a month!

Funny that you say that. I was considering trying those as well.

I know you are probably stronger than I am, but do the 6mm picks cause picking fatigue? I love gigantic picks… but after a while… I get a little tired in the forearm area.

I think I am the only one here who uses the gigantic Dunlop Tri Stubby Guitar picks.

After years of playing with tiny Jazz III’s… I switched to petructi, then to full-sized Dunlops, then to gigantic Tri-Picks. Honestly… if there is a larger pick out there… I wouldnt mind trying it.

The big picks seem to be reported as being easier to hold and play. V-Picks has pretty thick stuff (which I also use and endorse like the Psycho) and there are reviews on their site about how helpful the thicker picks are in reducing picking strain.

2 Likes

The nuke cheddars are growing on me. I like em.

:bear:

@milehighshred I have some V-picks but I use the thinner Switchblade and Tradition Lite 2. I think those are around 1.5mm

1 Like

fb4821a55878e400ce303c79cd0aff6a97bc6ac5e61181e7598338deff5bc8f5
Haha! I know what you mean, they take a bit to get used to. I haven’t tried the Becker ones but they’re the same mould so I assume they’re pretty similar.

3 Likes

I tried a bunch of V-Picks, but none of the really big lads. They feel and sound great, but they seem to lose their tips pretty quickly.

Have you tried anything thicker before?

The Psycho was nice because of the 3 even designed tips. When one tip goes dull, move to one of the other ones.

I got a Big Fattie for the first time from V-Pick in the mail yesterday. It really just plays like a Psycho with worn down tips. I can definitely say for sure that I prefer playing with a nice point on my pick VS anything rounded off.

Bought some Pick-Boy 1.00mm edge carbon fibers and they’re getting the job done. When my hands are really dry they slip around a bit but otherwise I like the shape and size. The V-picks are still my favourite grip but I’m not down to pay ~$45 for five or six picks that take two weeks to arrive. I’ll save those for special occasions such as recording sessions.

No, I haven’t.

:bear:

there is a very good chance that Dunlop will release the Andy James Ultex 2mm signature pick at NAMM.

I use Tortex sharp 1.35. Great picks! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I also think I’ve been using too small picks, I thought they bring precision, but at least for me, not. When learning two-way pickslanting, a large pick gives more feel to the slanting itself, the motion still being the same. Another a bit strange thing: A woodworker friend made for me one large wooden (lignum vitae, very hard, but endangered species) pick 3-4mm, about jazz lll -shaped, 1.5 times bigger, and it feels very good! It has a lot of friction with the strings and it sounds real edgy, but to me, after a couple of days, might be the thing. Have you tried wooden or bone picks?

I keep trying out those Tortex Sharp picks but I find they grab the strings too much, especially on the wound strings. Maybe I’m not giving them enough time to get used to them.

I haven’t tried wood before. The one issue I am having is with ‘flex’. My current form hits the string pretty hard… so I need something that is pretty firm… bone sounds good though. I honestly wouldn’t mind going even larger… it just feels so comfortable… and long picks are really nice for cross-picking.