What picks does John Petrucci actually use?

Cheers for the post. I have an ongoing battle with the lower strings, have always struggled playing fast on them, so I’m always experimenting with the amount if edge picking required.

I’m definitely gonna give the trinity pick a good go though, because there is a lot to like

1 Like

So what do ALL of his picks have in common? It seems to be a few things:

1. Stiff
  2. Pointy
  3. Broad shouldered

Is that right? :thinking: I am not an expert but it seems that the points look very similar and that the thicker models have smooth edges. I’ll bet (a) he can switch between any of them and be happy, and (b) a few years from now he will have yet another signature pick that will be similar to the others.

1 Like

Last time I asked him he said he was going back and forth between the Flow and the Trinity.

I’ve tried all the variations and still haven’t found anything I like more than the Carbon Fiber Max-Grip Jazz III though personally.

1 Like

I’ve found the trinity really solid lately to the point that I’ve just bought another pack of them, but I like the shape of the jazz 3 XLs more, with the slightly longer reach. Wondering if the prime tone ones might give me best of both worlds there, as the standard tortex ones have more “blocky” edges and result in me picking somewhat harder.

Like, the Primetone Jazz III XL? I have some of them somewhere. They’re very much a bevelled and slightly sharper regular Ultex Jazz III XL. I prefer the textured grip on them over the “regular” Ultex Jazz III XL, but aside from that there’s not much difference. I wouldn’t compare them to the Trinity, which are much wider. The Primetone play and feel like a Jazz III/XL. They’re also really expensive.

1 Like

Picture for size comparison:

Top Row:

Jazz III in Red and Black, EJ Jazz III, Ultex Jazz III, JP Trinity, 3.0mm Stubby

Bottom Row:

Jazz III XL in Red and Black, JP Jazz III, JP Flow.

Dunlop Tortex and Planet Waves Wide for size comparison.

If you like the size of the Jazz III XL but don’t like it in tortex, I’d suggest trying the XL size in the standard red/black or ultex, as these all have bevelled edges. The JP Jazz III could be worth a try too.

2 Likes

I’ve been using the tortex Jazz III XLs - maybe just getting the ultex would get me what I’m looking for.

I actually also have the JP jazz III, recently got the whole array of JP picks in a sampler pack. I like it quite a bit, somehow it seems to snag easier on the point - maybe some wear and tear, I think the material just isn’t quite as hard. Shape wise it’s great though.

The smooth finish on the black JP Jazz III wears out quickly IME; I also find them very slippery under the thumb. The Ultex Jazz III/XL is perfectly smooth on the bevel; if you have a Flow 1.5mm pick, the material and finish feels pretty much the same but with a different profile obviously.

Big fan of the ultex here. Was using white xl jazz 3s for a long time, but find recently I’m using the ultex constantly for my alternate picking stuff. Highly recommend giving them a try. Try recording something with your current pick then do a take with the ultex and see how it sounds! Not quite sure why they work so well for me but they just seem to work really well for picking

I quite like the translucent amber Ultex Jazz III

But I absolutely hated the black 2.0mm Jazz III

To my ears, it’s easily the worst sounding pick I’ve ever used. I hated it.

I much prefer the standard ultex over the Primtetone versions.

The pre-worn edges are ok for a (right handed) leading edge grip, but they feel weird with my trailing edge grip.

A little off topic, but I tried the Kirk Hammett Jazz IIIs recently.

I didn’t like the notch.

The Eric Johnson Jazz IIIs have been my primary pick now for more than a decade. I’d love if Dunlop would release a Jazz III which was the same as the old matte black Jazz IIIs.

I feel like 1mm is the sweet spot pick thickness for me. I did get ahold of an ultex jazz XL 1mm today and quite like it.

Also, outside of picks - I’ve just set up my 7 string Ibby with 8 gauge strings had to Frankenstein it a bit with a .52 from another set but it’s awesome for playing in standard. I think 9s are ideal for Eb or D. The springiness is a bit too much to drop below standard but I really like the feel of them.

It’s been reducing a lot of the tension in my left hand and picking a lot in combination with some other changes I’ve made, but I found 10s were too much even tuned down to D standard.

yep - that’s the series Tom! Sorry to readers - I should have been more specific - but it is the XL version of the amber Jazz 3 ultex I really like.

Do the JP trinity Picks ‘chirp’? I like the tri shape and use a PRIMETONE® TRIANGLE SMOOTH PICK 1.5MM for acoustic. Though I don’t like using it on electric guitars