What tuning do you think it is in?

Hi guys,

I’ve been recently absolutely taken away by a band called Akhlys.
Since my drummer and I are going to do some atmospheric black and I’ve had some trouble coming up with new, good compositions (stuck on playing the same “catchy” riffs over and over again, failing to build a song around them) I decided to give it a try and get some inspiration from it by reverse engineering some of the songs, just to get a grasp om new approach to playing my instrument.

The problem is, I am not entirely sure what tuning it is in. In the end it won’t even matter, since I’ll be using an 8 string anyways, but for a practice’s sake I want to know what’s the key and tuning here.
I have my own guess but I don’t want to share it too soon, so I don’t look too dumb :wink:

Here’s studio album (I must warn you it is quite disturbing and, dare I say, heavy):

And here is the live version of a song called “Consummation”.
Notice the riff starts on 4th fret of (I think) 6th string:

Any thoughts on this?

Alright, since no one replied I will make my own guess.
The 4th fret powerchord sound like D# to me, therefore it must be B standard.
I don’t trust my ears though.

Hey Rot,

I’m actually not sure. Definitely sounds lower. I’m thinking D# or D. Have you tried direct messaging the band?

Yeah, this main riff sounds like D# to me so given it’s 4th fret it must be B standard, but like I said - I don’t really trust my ears.

I did message them on instagram, sadly I had no response.

1 Like