What USX techniques are there?

Hi there,
I’m trying to learn a USX technique, and so far I have tried wrist and wrist-forearm motion. What other USX motions are there, and have you got any tips for doing them? Are there any sections in the primer that cover them apart from the ones I have already mentioned?

I apologise if this has already been asked.

Thank you! :slight_smile:

I can’t find the video on the Zakk Wylde mechanic, but at the bottom of this page it’s mentioned

He uses elbow and possibly the shoulder to make the upstrokes escape (since elbow on its own can only really go away from the body towards the floor - DSX). I can’t recall Troy ever recommending trying Zakk’s form to anyone looking for a USX motion so I don’t know if it’s great advice for you to try out. Still, it seems like a “a way” to get USX that’s not forearm or wrist.

You could also try Shawn Lane’s USX, which is drastically different from anything else you’ve posted. It’s a wrist based USX (dart thrower). I haven’t figured out his motion yet. I have a hitchhiker thumb so the setup is no problem, but in that position I can’t make my wrist do anything but a DSX motion.

1 Like

Thanks @joebegly :slight_smile:

Are there any USX motions that have a finger movement in them? I seem to remember someone mentioning something like that before…

Not sure if we’ve seen that as a “continuous” type of mechanic. It usually is more of a helper.

Maybe check out the Joe Stump interview if you are interested in seeing at least an element of that. I know you’ve mentioned you want ascending economy and Joe does that.

1 Like

I think Marty Friedman does a lot of finger motion with usx, there’s up close video in the members section. Zakk does it too. Zakk isn’t in the member section btw, buuuutttt, hint hint, I’d love to see him interviewed! If Troy could get him on it would be awesome.

When I learnt usx I basically focused on a single exercise, that being the classic 1234 pattern across the neck, it’s even in number so you can really just mindlessly hammer away at it for ages. Practicing the EVH tremolo is really helpful for developing the technique too.

1 Like