What's the best way to make a whammy bar dive-only?

I have several guitars that have whammy bars (two with a Floyd, one Wilkinson), but unfortunately they can go sharp or flat. I’d like to modify them to only go flat. What’s the “best” way for me to make this modification?

Take a look at tremol-no, pretty easy to use and you can make your whammy completely fixed, completely free and dive only. I have it on my guitar. Its not perfect or as good as having a different guitar, but I have found it useful when occasionally going to drop d tuning, by making it completely fixed. Country style bends/licks are also better…

yep, I have it on my main guitar though I havent used the whammy much. 3 modes: full floating, dive only, hardtail

https://www.tremol-no.com/

I’ve known the guy behind that, Kevan Geier, for something like two decades now, and was one of his beta testers back in the day. The original wads a little finnicky but effective, but he’s continued to refine the design over the years and the current generation are excellent - in particular the clamp-style is almost obscenely easy to dial in. The only effect I can hear when one’s attached and set up correctly in full floatiingmode is if you do a lot of trem flutter, the oscillations are a bit faster and tighter - otherwise, as a guy who for a couple years had stopped using them since his guitars are almost always full float and it was’t worth the hassle to align the arm correctly after doing some maintenance so I just left the receiver off on all my Tremol-no equipped guitars, well… I grabbed a RG550RFR a couple years ago, and had played it for a few weeks before I got around to changing strings, and only then found out that someone had installed a Tremol-no on it under the trem cavity. It’s THAT transparent. :rofl:

If you have no interest in EVER using one of the trems in your guitars full-floating, then simply blocking the trem is the cheapest way to go. But if you want to be able to at least have the option of floating your trem, a properly installed Tremol-no will let you go from fully immobile to dive only to fully blocked in a matter of moments. I’ve got one on virtually all of my trem-equipped guitars at the moment, and just haven’t gotten around to buying and installing one on the rest. They’re great devices.

I guess the one caveat is, the one thing a properly-installed Tremol-no WON’T do in dive-only mode is allow in-tune compound bending, since the trem is still technically balanced to float. However, it gives you a zero point, so if you just apply a little bit of palm pressure to the bridge while bending as you would on a fully floating bridge, you can hold it against the zero point, and not have to worry about overshooting and pushing it sharp like you would on a floating bridge.

1 Like

this guy has some cool products and how-to vids. He probably has something to help u