When to move onto next chapter?! Pickslanting

Hello!

I just purchased the Pickslanting primer and have started on the DPS Yngwie module. I’ve discovered my picking technique was already slanted so I don’t have any issue switching strings or doing any of the licks in this chapter whilst remaining within the strict DPS style. It’s just speed that I want to work on! I’m currently capped at around 50% if I remain within the strict technique.

Any advice as to how long I should remain in this chapter (or any for that matter) before moving on? (e.g. be able to play it all at at least 90% speed)

Any help is greatly appreciated and thanks for your time.

3 Likes

Hey!

What I learned from my experience with pick slating and from this forum in general is that you are not always necessarily doing what you think you’re doing with the pick.

I recommend that you post a video of your playing with Cracking the Code approved angles in the technique critique section of the forum. (have a look at some of the technique critique threads for some examples). A lot of experts in the forum will help you I am sure.

Good luck!

3 Likes

I think you are asking a difficult question about motot learning! The optimal time may depend on the individual. Have you tried sometimes playing at higher speeds even if sloppy? It can give you a feeling for those tempos (then you can work on cleaning things up). I think one thing we have learned here is that you need to practice both slow and fast!

1 Like

Perhaps i’ll do just that. I’ve only been working on it a few days and expect many months before I see serious improvement…but it’d be good to prevent bad habits from developing.

What are these angles that you speak of? Just similar shots to what’s in the tutorials?

1 Like

Not with this program yet as I only just got it. I have done that exercise with other techniques and find it very useful, but only once i’ve developed a moderate facility in the first place. Really bad idea to start off that way as you are more likely to encode poor habits. Have you achieved a lot of progress using this method with pick slanting?

To clarify the question, I was really curious to see if mastering one exercise is better than being at say, 70% the speed of the videos, on a few.

Hi,

About the angle, something like what you see in Teemu’s clip here (right side of the split screen mode):

…or a bit like what you see on my own (crappy) picking thread here :sweat_smile:

Basically an angle that shows your picking hand and pick slant clearly.

Cheers! \m/

1 Like

Wow his playing is so clean!

Thanks very much for going to the effort here. I totally missed that you recommend I checkout the critique section.

I’ll see if I can balance two iphones precariously in the right position :wink:

1 Like

Hi, sorry I forgot to paste the link to my picking thread to show how I did. Basically you don’t need something fancy like two iPhones or even video editing. Just a good quality video with focus on your picking hand. A video in slow motion mode is appreciated by some members.

1 Like