When to swap worn out picks

Just buy yourself a Blue Chip pick, it does not ware.

I donā€™t swap out picks that regularly anymore.
Before doing a big overhaul on guitar technique, I used to find Iā€™d get stuck in the strings a bit with new picks at times. It would take a few days until Iā€™d feel comfortable with it.

Iā€™ve changed a lot about how I play now so I donā€™t know if it was one specific thing or a combination of things causing the problemā€¦ I just know that now I donā€™t have to worry about a new pick being harder to play with.

I prefer to use a new one for clean playing though, for tonal reasons.

1 Like

Thatā€™s a black belt nobody can ever take away from you. Keep going!

1 Like

Yeah, just donā€™t invade any countries n youā€™ll be fine lol

1 Like

Long? Iā€™ll go 2 years without changing out picks.

I think youā€™ll find that there are people on both extremes. Some will change picks and strings after 2 weeks, or every month, or whatever. Some change strings on a weekly basis, or after every show.

Others will use the same picks and strings for as long as they can. I just realized that I last changed strings 2 years ago, and my picks are likely about as old. I didnā€™t plan for it, the time just went by, and I didnā€™t notice anything in the strings or picks that said, ā€œOi, you gotta change me now!ā€ My approach is, if it ainā€™t broke, donā€™t change it. I just learned that EVH was apparently in the same camp, so at least Iā€™m in good company. Now if only changing my strings like him would let me play like himā€¦ :slight_smile:

1 Like

Changing strings is a pain in the ass. I have had the same strings on my main ibby for about 2 years now thatā€™s how much I revile doing it.

You guys obviously donā€™t live in New England. In the summer I I absolutely have to change strings every 2 weeks because the humidity is like 70-90% every day

Unless youā€™re the ā€œinternational communityā€, then itā€™s Kosher :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I kind of run my string till Iā€™m afraid the new ones will start getting rust spots. I think I lot has to do with if your gigging ( sweat ), and hand chemistry, I donā€™t have sweaty hands, not gigging either. A versatile preamp pedal can mask old strings, I think if your using super light gauge strings, they last a lot longer. Back when I was trying to be that guy :roll_eyes: on super heavy gauge and was living near the sea, the low E would be the first to sound dull, but at the time my amp situation wasnā€™t good either.

Itā€™s been years though that Iā€™ve kept strings on my guitars to the point where they donā€™t intonate correctly.

I wish when I started I got a cheap guitar and a better amp instead.

What are you talking about? I live in Brighton MA.

Really? Do you have central air? I will have rusty hands after 2 weeks of strings in July. Straight up orange fingers. Forget how they sound which I can most certainly hear a difference.

No. Iā€™m in a hot as hell attic in a probably un-insulated three family. I mean sure I throwing an ax in the window, but itā€™s only on when Iā€™m home the few hours I am.

If one pick is somehow different than others, I must give it away.

To me, picks must always be fungible.

Regarding rusty or dirty strings, try Elixir.

Back in 2010, I asked Michael Schenker how often he changed his strings (when not on tour). He said ā€œonly when they breakā€.

2 Likes

This a thing. When they break or dont intonate. Proper amps filter and accentuate their character rather consistently.

So his guitar tech is just lazy. Gotcha.

No, you didnā€™t get it. You must have skipped the (when not on tour) bit, right? Nothing to do with his tech at all. Strings are replaced nightly on tour. He hates the sound of new strings and thatā€™s why he doesnā€™t change them unless he has to.

1 Like

Either way. I didnā€™t ask about changing strings and I donā€™t really care about what Michael schenker does anyway.

Either way, you cared enough to post a comment but not enough to contribute anything useful to the conversation. Good job.

Either way the post is about picks. Try not to be a prick when you bring up a different subject and I do t care enough to process what you wrote because it has nothing to do with why Iā€™m in this forum right now. Thanks for nothing.

Youā€™re not a moderator. You donā€™t get to decide what will be discussed in postings. And if you donā€™t care about what someone posts, the appropriate response is silence. Pretty simple and easy. Again youā€™ve contributed nothing except to keep repeating that you donā€™t care what I wrote while continuously responding anyway. Move along.