Which Instagram Guitarists Do You Follow?

Know of any good players? I haven’t spent much time on the platform.

EDIT: found a good one:

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by Guille Malatesta Dettoni (@guillemalatesta)

@b_a_x_t_y (this kid is like Stephen Taranto level with alternate picking and writes cool stuff)

@fernplants (pretty wild, shred covers at like 150% speed)

Axesauce (good all around content, great guitarist and a pretty funny dude)

Yo Onityan (shred monster)

StratenMarshall

Matthew mills (taught Jason Richardson)

@jakeyhl

McRocklin

3 Likes

None. (To make up additional characters for post limit)

2 Likes

Euge Valovirta

He’s a straight shooter, has awesome taste/tutorials/tones and can rip when he feels like it

1 Like

Mateus Asato (low hanging fruit). Characters added to meet post minimum.

I don’t use instagram much, but I’ve noticed something. Many times I’ve seen someone play crazy fast stuff and in the comments section, people immediately start claiming it’s sped up…
Social media has become such a dumpster fire.

2 Likes

Man, the first time I posted on Youtube was maybe 2006-7, recorded a take of Serrana that was pretty decent, far from perfect, first comment was that I had a fake JEM, second was that the playing was fake. I just brushed it off, but people on social media are and have always been exhausting lol.

If anything though, I feel like it’s improved from the early 2000s due to more everyday people being on the platform as opposed to bitter trolls mad about “normies” invading their space, and better algorithms sending people to the content that actually care about. There’s no getting away from the trolls though.

EDIT: The other problem is guitarists often do speed up and mime to their videos, or string together a bunch of perfect takes from different angles into a full playthrough that they couldn’t actually do in a single take etc. which is a problem seen everywhere with social media, fitness influencers photoshopping themselves and using lighting tricks, people editing together fake tricks and stunts - goes on ad nauseam.

2 Likes

This is rampant, and something I hate. I’ve even seen players who I personally know are incredible fall victim to this need to only present utter perfection. It sucks in so many ways.

This is part of why I still find some of the old school instructional videos so immensely impressive, like Gilbert’s opening solo on Intense Rock.

I don’t know if they count as instagram players but Eric Steckel and Cesario Filho.