Whitesnake Still of the Night cover

Worked on this for a while this week - a couple bits may have been a bit fudged but it’s a lot of fun to play!

Pretty sure I’m still following more or less some combo of DSX-primary with swiping and Dart thrower.

7 Likes

One of my favorites from that era! Sounds awesome! My only feedback has nothing to do with the “hard” part (which you crushed). I’d like to see more aggressive palm muted open strings and big vibrato on the chords right before the solo.

For the “hard” part did you try to faithfully recreate the notes or just do your own thing? Hearing the isolated track of the original solo makes me wonder WTF he was even going for in places lol! It inspired me to just make up my own DSX exclusive run leveraging (mostly) Tom’s EDC’s. I can’t play it yet though lol. And of course no shade to John’s solo, it’s still perfect for the tune and has this awesome raw aggression.

Anyway, awesome job as always!!!

1 Like

Yeah the isolated track is a bit whacky. I took a couple different attempts from others and combined what made sense fingering wise/note selection wise to me which is why I say the “hard” part was fudged even though it’s probably pretty close.

Agree on the chords - I had some takes with better feel on the slower sections but didn’t quite like how I landed the fast section. That intro double picked part is actually deceptively tricky on a couple parts even though I know it was more of a keyboard part except for when he plays it live during solo lead ins.

Also I had thicker guage strings on this guitar, since I had it tuned to D standard and shifted it up, probably screwed up my vibrato on everything a bit, that’s why I’m making some faces trying to bend the high E lol.

By the way, those ibanez bridges with the gear in the back (Edge Zero II I think?) are amazing for changing tuning with a floating trem.

1 Like

@joebegly unrelated but here’s an improv I was pretty proud of recently that’s in a more comfortable tuning where the strings bend a bit more easily. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYTkmo1uhiU

1 Like

Nice! You’ve got some pretty blistering phrases in there. Nice vibrato too!

1 Like

Awesome playing! Very well done, man! Cool guitars, too! :grinning:

1 Like

I see a great improvement in filming technique as well :sunglasses:

1 Like