Who claims to pick with the exact mechanic of MABatio? Soon i’ll be one of them

I almost understand it (and I’m not talking about two waypickslanding, which is crystal clear for me thanks to the master explanation of Troy Grady), I’m talking about the muscles he use and the exact position of his hand, his anckle point and the direction of his movement.

I dont know if ive seen anyone else do it exactly like Michael. its kind if unique

He created this amazing technique (I’m just talking about the alternate picking when he shred (although all his technique is amazing)) and he is absolutely unique, but anyone can play exactly like him, we just have to figure it out. I’m sure I’m close, I just want to speed up the process in order to start with another thing.

I’m pretty sure I got it. I’ll post a video in a few min

Lmk if this is helpful!

3 Likes

I haven’t tooled around too much with it. But I do think that’s what’s going on. He also chokes up on the pick. Or has very little sticking out. I think he uses jazz 3s. And I think he has a bit more “pivot” (flextion I think ). And wrist deviation toward the ulnar or the right as I call it. If I had to give a degree number I would say like a 340 degree uwps with relation to the guitar if the netrual point is 0 degrees for a neutral forearm or the middle land of supination and pronation. He is also only using elbow for the pick generating motion. And tracks with shoulder and elbow combined. I think he also does a Martin Miller Esque floating cross pick for his riffs. Take it all with a. Grain of salt but that’s all my thoughts

2 Likes

Very interesting and helpful, the position and the grip looks better like him than mine, but you are using your biceps mostly and he mostly uses flexion and extension of his rist, and his tricep more than his bicep. That’s where I’m trying right now. I’ll put a video when I nail it, but not now, I play classical guitar also if you want to see me. And thanks, I’m looking for examples like yours, because each one can help me in some detail I haven’t get it.

3 Likes

I’m studying in front of a mirror and I’m checking if the middle finger in the ancle point is moving because of flextion an extension of the elbow, and for me he doesn’t do that (in fact he claims that he doesn’t) but also I noticed that his middle finger just tends to move down if at all moves.

I finally found one that plays exactly like MAB.
I actually ask him for some insights and he tell me something like: “practice, practice, practice, there is no shortcuts to his technique”.
And I reply to him, yes there are shortcuts to master any skills, if you don’t want to share it that’s another story, because you figure his technique out, you didn’t invented from scratch by yourself.

Or maybe he can’t tell exactly how to do it other than he watched the hand placement and beat on it until it clicked. Wouldn’t surprise me as not everyone is a member of this site.

2 Likes

I don’t agree, in order to copy you need to understand, if you invented your unique way maybe not, but there is always at least an aha! moment that you can share. It’s true that there are people that are not the best explaining but I don’t believe that even MAB is trying his best in teaching.

Bottom line, for my there are people that are afraid of sharing a knowledge because they feel others will do same or better than themselves because of that.

And BTW I found a better way than that so I’m no longer interested in modeling the MAB technique! I’m afraid to share it but I will do it anyway because I’m not such a &$)($&&. and I also love to share and that’s why I’m here.

I’ll post soon!

Back in the early days of Van Halen, Eddie would turn his back to the audience whenever he did finger tapping, Then when they got signed to a major label I think that was when he stopped turning his back when he tapped. He didn’t want anybody stealing his idea before they got signed.

1 Like

im wondering if the placement of the 3 fingers on the pickguard does in fact help with string tracking and probably sweeping. The idea being that it gives u extra muscles to push or pull against the pickguard whereas fingers floating in the air are sort of going to waste

Looks like it could be a good pivot point to keep tracking right.
Looks uncomfortable, I never thought of trying it.
Might be worth a shot

Awesome example! I didn’t knew about that one. That’s exactly what I’m talking about, when people figure out things they realize how easy they were and sometimes don’t want to share what took them serious time cause others would take advantage of their work in far less time.

1 Like

For me the most important thing is where does your movements come from, what are the motions you are talking advantage of; the hand position and the anckle point or points just allows you to do those specific movements. The important thing about anckle (BTW i’m not sure about the spelling of anckle, so i mean the places where you rest your arm, hands, fingers, elbow, etc) points is that they give you a hand position and a reference, but even more important, and this is something I learned from classical guitar and I haven’t heard anyone talking about this in picking technique, is that they allow you to relax! MAB rest his arm near his elbow against the edge of the guitar body and that is the way classical guitarist play, and is really the only way to be able to move your fingers fast and for a long time.

you’re close. its “anchor” point

1 Like

Thanks! I’m learning English :ok_hand::+1:

1 Like

yep. same as ship anchor

1 Like

JonJon, did you change your opinion of “nobody can do it exactly like him” after seeing the Ahmad’s video, he didn’t want to help but the man copied MAB’s picking technique and hands down for that. I was sure there would be someone, and it’s always possible to model a person’s technique and get at least similar results.