Who is working on RDT with a Trailing edge grip?

My aim is focused on strict alternating DBX so sweeping is not a factor for me.

1 Like

Sweeping is a great tool tho, I couldn’t do a technique that doesn’t include it, but perhaps thats my own obsession and issue to deal with.

You’re going for pure dbx? The pics you showed are usx. or at least that what I thought.
If you’re doing Ddx then I’m probably just chatting shit lol, I can see that working. I can do it, but my thumb gets crushed.

Dbx won’t be RDT tho, It’ll be far more straight in the wrist.

I see completely. Yeah I agree with you, from that posture your using. I was trying much more pronated like what Scottulus was doing. In that setup, descending works fine. At the end of your video you say you really have to rotate to get it to work…the setup I’m using, I’m already there to begin with :slight_smile:

I agree for sweeping in both directions, a pretty neutral setup is what works because to get it smooth we need to slant the pick upwards when ascending and downwards when descending. Frank Gambale is the perfect example of this. Plenty of players though, have a more ‘one way only’ setup. Yngwie doesn’t really do much with descending sweeps. He posture just doesn’t allow for it for it. I’m not saying he’s never done it, just that it’s not his bread and butter.

1 Like

If we’re talking about DBX then is it correct to say thats not a RDT position?

Not sure who you are replying to, but Troy says and I agree that you can do RDT and DBX with leading and trailing edge grips. The motion of the wrist is the same or similar, but the pick grip is different. The recent Primer videos illustrate these options.

DBX is definitely possible within RDT. That’s the new stuff in the Primer I was talking about where Troy explains it all.

I have a DBX form that’s RDT. I tried going more ‘trailing edge’ to keep it on topic lol! I don’t think I succeeded at that, it definitely wants to straighten out. But this is some form of DBX using RDT

5 Likes

Guess I should get another subscription sometime soon.

My idea of the RDT is a limp wrist, a gay wave, you know… a Marty Friedman technique.

I seriously think I’ve got a learning disability the amount of time I need to sort out the order of acronyms.

1 Like

You bet, I can sweep no sweat. Up, down, sideways.

Biggest issue with my pronated form is muting for effect. Other thing is that sometimes I find I need to take a look at how the notes are arranged.

I’d be curious which dart thrower (or non-dart thrower) y’all would say I am.

Gotta be RDT. You’re pronated and DSX

But hey @WhammyStarScream, I don’t really do much Jason Becker Style sweeping, you know those big blooop blorp bloop guys; however when I do a 5 or a 6 string sweep, yes the descending portion is “better” It just is hahaha , I think because it’s most compatible with my setup. I was messing around and I pronate while descending, and supinate slightly when ascending. My sweeping is, ummm passable. Meaning I get the job done, but it’s not too pretty in many cases hahaha my preference is for things that I can sequence when it comes to arpeggios so I don’t really do straight scales or straight arpeggios in my improvising.

When I do a bunch of sweepy stuff, my preference is definitely for descending moves, and they sound better to me. Ascending is not quite as good in most cases, but I’m fine with it - There’s always other ways around it via hammers, hybrid or tapping. So yeah, I guess to clarify my previous statement, yes I can sweep with this setup - but the ascending portion needs a setup change mid flight it seems, and the pronated aspect I currently emply isn’t great for muting. i hope that helps amigo? I am kind of stumbling through this…

1 Like

Yes it helps, I think I need to get a better understanding of RDT, I thought it was the Marty Friedman esc hand position, limp wrist type thing based on looking it up, but because I’m not a member atm I’m getting only bits n pieces of info, so my mistake if it’s not that. Next time I get paid I’m sure a membership will update me on the recent stuff :slightly_smiling_face:

I think so, on bass. I’m not totally sure as I’m not 100% on the definitions of RDT, but from the videos I’ve seen, it looks like it.

I can do it on guitar too, but normally use standard grip.

1 Like

Why do you think you do standard on guitar?

@WhammyStarScream I like the attack of thin picks better right now, and I find that trailing edge has to be at least 1mm. I could just record with trailing edge for certain lead parts, but I would never do any rhythm with it.

1 Like

Have you ever struggled with how cool your hand looks when picking? Thats something that messed with me for awhile, or you never had that issue?

Like certain picking techniques look cool but are limiting. My most effective technique looks lame as hell to me.

I’ve personally never had that issue. Then again, I’ve never had the typical “guitar aesthetics” issue, like wearing the guitar low enough to “look cool”, or more recently, playing a headless guitar for ergonomics.

That being said, I’m curious to hear which ones you think look cool. Or which ones don’t, lol.

This piqued my interest and relates to my question above: which techniques look cool (to you) but are limiting? Which technique are you most effective with but think it looks lame?

suppose its a bit off topic :stuck_out_tongue:

lol I personally could give a shit about how someone’s technique “looks”. For me it’s all about how it sounds and the music generated. Some fantastic players don’t “look” like they conform to what looks cool and yet… they tear your face off and send the weak spirited ones crying for their mommy. We all have different body types and as such our “setups” will vary. I think that the CTC method allows for this personalization. Think about it - Marty Friedman and Frank Gambale for example are very comfortable and at peace with how they play and the setup/posture. Michaelangelo and Steve Morse, Yngwie and EVH - Eric Johnson and Johnny Hiland - lots of variety there, and I am thinking that the setups are complimentary to the line construction. Just my opinion, correct me if I’m wrong. :grinning:

Anyways @jllewi I am curious - Are you able to play some DBX stuff? If so I’d love to see it! I can’t do it myself, but it’s really awesome to watch and listen to - I especially love it when guys have just discovered it and start smashing out cool rolls and whatnot!

1 Like

I’m gonna post some bluegrass DBX real soon now. Just gotta deal with the garage sale and the mowing. #priorities

2 Likes

It is kinda weird I guess as but we all care about image, maybe I’m too obsessive lol

Don’t you guys find this grip puts a lot of pressure on your thumb?

1 Like