Who is working on RDT with a Trailing edge grip?

Different strokes for different folks I think!

Actually for me, the opposite. This grip affords me the least amount of background tension - it’s why I went back to it, Tom Gilroy really helped coach me through a kind of “setup reboot”.

Cool! I can’t wait to hear/see your clip!

1 Like

I think this may be anatomical too. I’ve got a hitchhiker thumb so a trailing edge grip is comfortable for me. I don’t feel any pressure. I could see someone who doesn’t have a hitchhiker thumb having a different experience.

2 Likes

In the way that I use it, yes, but that’s hitting thicker strings (bass) pretty hard while using a “standard” shape purple tortex (1.14 mm if I’m recalling correctly). When I play guitar using a jazz point with the same technique, most all of the pressure goes away. I think it’s more having to get used to the thumb being in that position, similar to how some people feel a degree of discomfort on the side of their index finger when they first start holding the pick there.

Not gonna lie, that is a pretty bizarre take on playing aesthetics, but definitely unique; can’t say that I’ve ever heard anyone comment on that before!

Personally I think that the more “fist” shaped picking styles seem to feel more stable, as the mass of your hand is more concentrated. In that sense, they aesthetically look more robust to me. The more the fingers splay and create angles, the more potential for unreliable technique, so I might find that aesthetically less pleasing. All that being said: if it works, it works.

1 Like

Hmmm, my thumb kind of curves when it’s straight, so I am thinking I agree - anatomical.

I’ve never claimed to be sane lol I do find it intresting how peoples hands are so different, my Dad has the hitchhikers thumb going on, like evh hands, what I find interesting is I don’t at all, same with Wolfgang van Halen, he doesn’t have his dads hands, he’s closer to his mother in face and hand structure.

I’ve created a Technique Critique at Technique Critique – Cracking the Code with trailing and leading edge videos. In case you can’t see those, I also sent them to YouTube at Beaumont Rag B section, Leading Edge - YouTube and Beaumont Rag B section, Trailing Edge - YouTube. Both are of Beaumont Rag at 110 bpm half notes, 440 notes/min eighth notes.

Both forms look and sound awesome to me!

The link you posted is the one from your dashboard. The “public” one is here

The only thing I’d say to try is see what happens at faster speeds. Your motion looks efficient but 110 is low to test maximum efficiency. I’ve found several forms of DBX that I am confident are NOT string hopping, but they are not equal in terms of efficiency. They each run out of gas at different places. The fact that you now have 2 forms is promising and they will probably help each other out.

1 Like

Thanks for the hint on the link, I updated my post.
Of course, “bluegrass 110” is the same as “4/4 220bpm”, but yes, it’s not superfast. This is about as fast as I can go and make a complete “take” of a song section. I might be able to do faster in a shorter burst. And this was on the acoustic with a .013" string set. Excuses aside, I will keep working on this. Interested to see what @tommo thinks.

1 Like

That was awesome, man! Sounded fantastic to me!