Why does Dimebag do this?

Does anyone know why Dimebag Darrell put electrical tape around the headstock between the nut and the string retainer?

Iā€™m guessing it was an effort to stop sympathetic vibration.

4 Likes

Thatā€™s what I was thinking, but does that actually work when itā€™s behind the nut like that?

1 Like

Back in my band days the sound engineer in the studio had us weave a section of paper napkin on that area of guitar and he claimed it kept things cleaner. I took that to mean the sympathetic vibrations like @Riffdiculous mentioned. I also never understood how that mattered since I thought they usually came from un dampened strings, particularly the bass strings.

EDIT: but if Dimebag did it, we should probably all do it :slight_smile:

4 Likes

It stops that part of the string from ringing, although Iā€™m not sure the foam in the first photo would be very effective between the nut and string retainer. With enough gain you can usually hear it if you hit a chord hard then stop it quickly. Or, compare strumming behind the nut with and without something muting there.

2 Likes

Well Dimebag definitely had enough gain lol! I think Iā€™ve seen Rick Graham put a fret wrap in that area too, maybe not back quite that far but seemingly not on the strings enough to get the effect that wanna-bees like me use the fret wrap for (i.e. keeping it ā€œcleanā€ while playing lead in the upper position)

1 Like

I wrap a tea towel on the strings near the nut when recording lead, unless Iā€™m playing down there or using open strings of course. I donā€™t practice that way or anything, just like to get my recording done as quickly and easily as I can. Must try wrap it behind the nut and see if it does anythingā€¦

2 Likes

The sympathetic vibration is pretty likely the reason.

If you strum the strings behind the nut, you get a rather unpleasant sound. With gobs of gain, those (usually masked) frequencies might cause trouble?

1 Like

Actually, I think that the headstocks on the Deans would break really easily so the tape may have had something to do with that?

1 Like

I donā€™t think electrical tape would be adequate for fixing a broken headstock.

He would be more likely to get noise and sympathetic vibrations from the floyd and the springs than the clamped off part of the headstock.

I guess Iā€™ve never noticed this being present unless deliberately strumming behind the nut (a la runninā€™ with the devil intro) but it makes sense weā€™d hear this as described above - hit it hard with lots of gain. The context of my recording experience is that we played high gain stuff, lots of palm muting and ā€˜chokedā€™ notes to get that very tight metal sound. Also, the sound engineer I mentioned wouldnā€™t even keep takes unless we played very aggressively. It was funny, after a good take heā€™d say ā€œWow that was perfect. Now do it again and play it like a man this time!!!ā€. He had great ears and I suspect during all the editing he did over his career, heā€™d heard instances of these sympathetic vibrations bleeding through.

lol Of course not! However if it was broken repeatedly and then glued, maybe some tape might cover up the scarring.