Why does Martin Miller use the Stubby for some licks?

I noticed that Martin changes picks to a Dunlop Stubby and was wondering why, @Troy, @Brendan?

Not too many players use the Stubby so I find his choice interesting.

The stubbies are nice and smooth and the pick doesn’t grab the string as much. I believe he says this in the interview - I’d have to rewatch to confirm. They’re cool picks and feel nice so long as they stay smooth, but that only lasts approximately one lick. As soon as they abrade, they develop notches which feel and sound (to me) bad. The regular Jazz III abrades more gracefully. They get sandy, but don’t grab.

1 Like

Thanks Troy! That interview you did with Martin is one of my favourites, such an incredible talent.

1 Like

It was kind of funny the first time watching him switch picks for different licks, but then you realise that he knows his craft so well that he wants the optimum tool for demonstrating each idea.

2 Likes

Just one lick. Right after that they go to the garbage. :sob:

It reminds me Christophe Godin saying “I change my strings every day” (not even sure if he was actually joking)

On my own experience: The JP’ signature Jazz III picks (not exactly the same) are also very interesting in keeping a good shape. I use them a lot and while you are talking about picks wear, I would say that I am even more comfortable with these picks when getting slightly sandy and reducing the angle I naturally make when holding it on the strings than new. It is because of habits or is it really improving something ? both of them I guess.