Will CTC ever focus on UWPS the way it did DWPS?

A lot of the great players are mainly DWPS, like Yngwie and Eric, and their picking technique has well and truly been cracked by Troy and the team.

I’m wondering if CTC will ever feature on the great UWPS at any stage? I’m not sure of any primary UWPS (maybe there aren’t many!) but I’m sure Vinnie Moore is one of them.

4 Likes

Andy James is a pure upward pickslanter. Not only you can see it, he also talks about starting 2 note per string licks with an upstroke and if you find any tabs, the picking pattern makes this obvious. I really wish somebody would show him CTC.

Recently I watched a stream he did with Rick Graham (somebody @Troy definitely needs to interview!) and it was kind of sad to see two guitar gods struggling to figure out why their techniques are so different. So maybe a possible interview with Andy could be something focused on UWPS, but I don’t think there is anything new to find.

3 Likes

Ah yes I forgot about Andy. I asked him about his upward pick slanting technique during his July webcast and I got the impression that he had no idea how to explain his picking technique, so I’m guessing he has never seen much CTC.

His picking is kind of he opposite to Yngwie- he uses pull offs to force downstrokes.

yeah, his UWPS was the only reason I bought one of his lessons.

In Andy’s own words, he’s a classic example of a guy who just brute-forced the Paul Gilbert lick until something clicked for him.

1 Like

Who did a stream with Rick Graham? I noticed Rick is a huge legato player. He’s a badass dude.

2 Likes

With a) so few proficient upward pickslanters and b) the fact that explaining DWPS takes care of both one-way pickslant strategies, I’m not sure what kind of demand there would be. I mean, Andy James is probably the best UWPS player out there and you just explained what he does in this thread.

And a very good Gambale-style economy picker.

1 Like

If I’m not mistaken, Guthrie Govan seems to be a primary-up guy. IIRC his transcriptions of Shawn Lane licks were all upside-down – starting on a downstroke where Lane would start on an upstroke, etc.

I meant Andy James. They talk about this at about 15:30

1 Like

I think it would still be interesting to examine what they do in a bit more detail. E.g., how do they achieve the UWPS posture, how do they generate the picking movement and so on. Probably it is true that CtC has identified the core principles of all picking styles, yet there are a million different ways to implement these principles.

2 Likes

Exaclty. Totally happy to meet with players like Andy for this kind of info gathering.

7 Likes

Andy James is one of the great modern day pickers, I’d love to see him sit down and for episode of CTC. I bet he would learns loads about his own technique as well.

1 Like

Rick Graham! Rick Graham! Rick Graham!!! :sunglasses:

5 Likes