Will Troy Ever Be Interviewed

Has it occurred to the CTC team @Troy and @Brendan that there are probably a lot of people who would pay to see a Masters Of Mechanics interview in which Troy is the one being interviewed and somebody else, maybe Brendan, would ask the questions? I would certainly find it interesting.

The idea for this thread came to me just a couple days after I created a thread about Troy’s interviewing style. I wanted to ask Troy if before he discovered pick slanting and was still having trouble executing string changes, did it ever occur to him to try economy picking as a solution since with economy picking there is no need to “escape the plane of the strings” since instead of crossing over the top of a string so you can then pick the other side of the string, you simply continue to move the pick in the same direction (as in sweep picking) which eliminates the need to make the pick “hop” over the top of the string in oder to pick the string on the other side of it. So, back when you were still using stringhopping, Troy, did it ever occur to you to develop the ability to economy pick well and if so did you just find it too awkward of a technique to use as a solution to eliminating string hopping, did the idea of using economy picking to solve the problem just not occur to you, or is what happened during the years before you discovered pick slanting something other than those two scenarios?

After deciding I’d like to ask Troy the answer to the above question, it then occurred to me: “Wouldn’t it be interesting if I or somebody else conducted a full length interview of Troy Grady”? Along with the above question, many other possible questions occurred to me which would serve to fill a good length interview including questions about the mechanics of his particular primary picking style, did he already envision himself starting a company with a company mission statement the same as or very similar to that of CTC’s mission statement while he was earning his degree at Yale, why did he wait to found CTC instead of starting CTC immediately after graduating, does he have any other career goals in the music industry other than what he currently does with CTC, and many more questions which hopefully many more people than just me would be interested in hearing Troy answer.

I envision the interview being like many of the already existing Masters Of Mechanics interviews in the section devoted to asking Troy about the development of his technique and overall playing style but would differ in that a good deal of it would be biographical in nature as opposed to the vast majority of the interview consisting of questions about his guitar playing technique.

So @Troy, is an interview along the lines of what I’ve described above something that you would be interested in doing at some point within the next couple of years if you found the right interviewer for the job and if you thought there would be enough of a demand for the interview for it to be a financially viable project?

2 Likes

Have you seen the first 10 episodes of the Cracking The Code YouTube series? It’s basically Troy’s guitar autobiography.

5 Likes

I saw those episodes but it’s been a long time since then so I don’t remember many details. I will re-watch them. You’re right in that they’re fairly autobiographical in nature and they were well done. So while I have no complaints about them, to my way of thinking, the type of interview I proposed would be an excellent addition to those episodes - not a replacement for them.

Those episodes served their purpose but I believe an interview in which somebody else is asking Troy questions would result in a product which would still be quite different from the first season of Cracking The Code and would have the capability of covering subjects not explored in the episodes you mentioned such as, for example, the questions I put forth in my opening post of this thread,

In other words, as good as those episodes you mentioned which comprise the first season of Cracking The Code are, I believe that an interview of Troy in the style and covering various subject natters such as those which I described would still be of great value and hopefully of great interest to lots of people as well. After all, Troy truly is a pioneer in his field. You might even say he created his field and as such, deserves to have his story told in a more complete manner than that which the 10 episodes of the first season of Cracking The Code provided.

I’ve been interviewed tons of times! On blogs, on podcasts, by viewers for school projects, you name it. We’ll dig up some of those links and post them here for anyone who wants to read them. However, any long-time subscriber such as yourself is going to already know everything I talk about in interviews since my autobiography is how this whole thing started. Even now, every video we make is pretty much me telling you in painstaking detail how we came to figure out all the stuff we know.

3 Likes

Yes, no shortage of Troy Grady interviews :slight_smile: This isn’t an exhaustive list but these are some of the best that come to mind:

JustinGuitar (podcast):

https://www.justinguitar.com/en/PO-002-Podcast-Episode2-TroyGradyInterview.php

Start Teaching Guitar (podcast):

Canebrake & Tortuga (longform text interview):

http://canebrakeandtortuga.com/canebrake-interview-Troy-Grady.html

Sharpen That Axe (two-part podcast):

4 Likes

Excellent! I’m looking forward to hearing these. I didn’t know any of those interviews existed!

BTW, @Troy could you just answer one question I had - the one regarding economy picking and if you ever considered using that as a solution to your problem of not having an efficient way to change strings back before you discovered pick slanting when you were still string hopping?

Did the thought of using economy picking as a way to quickly, cleanly and efficiently change strings ever cross your mind and if it did, what’s the story about that? Did you work a lot on learning to economy pick well and how did it work out for you in the years before you discovered pick slanting?

I never considered that and I didn’t know it existed. I also never used sweeping or knew it existed beyond “raking” or “strumming” a fretted chord and having the notes run together, like Eddie does in the “Jump” solo. We address this in the animated episodes of the show in a scene where Yngwie plays reggae chord rakes.

You say, how can I live through the '80s and not know about sweeping? Of course I heard the term. But I just didn’t know it meant what it meant. That’s my superpower - I’m always out of the loop. I need to be spoon-fed the step-by-step version of things or I don’t get it.

4 Likes

Lol, oh man do I relate to that statement!

4 Likes

First of all thanks for answering that since I was real curious about that. See, I also had trouble finding a way to switch strings quickly and cleanly and at the time I had been playing about 2 years. I was trying to play Black Star one day and thee was a lick in the solo that I decided to try to use economy picking for a descending string change. I had never heard of anyone doing that; I just decided to try it anyway. It seemed to me that it would be the most efficient way possible to do a string change (it was an outside string change - an upstroke on the high E string followed by a downstroke on the B string. So I thought to myself “Why jump over the string to be able to pick the other side of the string when I could just keep the pick moving in the same direction and end up having to move the pick less distance that way as well as not having to jump over the adjacent string”?)

I was home from high school for 2 days because I was sick so I spent probably 4 or 5 hours each of those days just working on that one lick and trying to see if what I would later found out was a technique named “economy picking” was a viable technique to use. I found that by picking that “mini-sweep” the pick certainly did have to move less distance that way than the conventional way but I also found that that technique gave me very little control over the speed at which I executed the string change. I was unable to play the lick that way and make the string change in tempo. I either made the string change too quickly, which was a very easy mistake to make, or in trying to control the tempo, I slowed it down too much. I simply couldn’t achieve the very even timing that alternate picking gave me. I tried so hard to get proficient with that technique by playing that lick a total of around 9 hours in those 2 days I was home from high school that I gave myself tendonitis in the top of the wrist of my picking hand.

If I hadn’t been so incredibly relentless with my quest to try to make that technique work and had instead spent maybe half an hour a day on it for a month or two, I might very well have ended up primarily being an economy picker. But I wanted to master it right away and was willing to work myself so hard that I worked my wrist to the point of injury. That’s how I’ve always been. When I want to master a technique I am not patient; I want to learn it right then, no matter how hard I have to work, no matter how boring ti would be for most people to play one lick for 4 or 5 hours straight.

After those 2 days i decided that technique would never give me the control over timing and the control over how hard I picked the note which alternate picking afforded me and so i did nothing further with economy or sweep picking until 3 years later when I took lessons from Dallas Perkins in Tampa, FL who had graduated from G.I.T. and had been Paul Gilbert’s roommate while he was there! Dallas Perkins taught me how to seep pick arpeggios and it sounded so amazing after mastering it that one night I was at a party in someone’s does room and one of the 2 guys who lived in that room had a BC Rich guitar. I picked it up and started sweep picking arpeggios so clean and so fast that this really hot 18 year old girl said to me “That’s not real.” She then walked over to me and rubbed her hand across the guitar strings, apparently expecting them to not make any sound and figure out there was a tape or CD playing. When the strings sounded out loud as she rubbed her hand across them she was shocked to find out that I was actually playing what she had been hearing. Damn I miss those days!!!

ah

2 Likes

While I’ve checked out many of Troy’s interviews outside of CtC, and there’s at least trace amounts of @Troy in all things CtC… I believe what @Acecrusher was trying to say is:

:sunglasses:

1 Like

Ha!! I am not worthy of Alan Moore references!

1 Like

I think your super-power is not only being “out of the loop” - but the fresh eyes you have on a technique is enhanced by the way you can break it down and re-explain it. You’re good at this stuff.