Working Through Primer - Pretty sure I am a Big Time Sting Hopper

Working my way through the Primer for the second time. Fairly certain I am a classic string hopper and trying to overcome decades of playing this way seems like a virtually impossible task.

Any critique/advice welcome. Videos are not great. I will try to shoot better ones.

Alternate Picking:

Single String Tremolo:

Single String Playing:

I may be too old of a dog to learn these new tricks, but hope springs eternal!

Definitely string hopping, but you’ve got a good tremolo going. How are you practicing?

I have shifted my pick grip so that my index finger is more curled and I am holding the pick between the thumb and the side of the finger rather than how I always did it between the thumb and the “pad” of the finger.

I have been trying to do classic 1-2-3-4, 4-3-2-1 up and down the neck and then bursts of speeding up working on the Volcano 6s pattern (4-1-3-4-3-1).

I feel like I am doing it closer to my temolo motion but then I really look and I am hopping like a rabbit!!

Nah

Exactly! That’s the spirit!

I think all you need to do is figure out if your tremolo is USX or DSX, then play phrases that will work with that. All the ‘alternate picking’ pentatonic stuff you posted will require you can escape in both directions, and that’s probably biting off more than you can chew if your immediate goal is to kill the string hopping.

Can you tell if your tremolo is USX or DSX? I think it might be DSX but I can’t quite tell from the footage. Maybe a good test is to do it on the B string instead of the E string. If you make the motion big enough that it will rest on either the E or the G string, which is it resting on?

It is weird. When I do trem on the B string, my motion seems to be trapped both ways (flat - no escape). I feel like I can adjust it to be either DSX or USX, both feel OK, maybe USX a little more natural??? Should I just commit to one and work from there?

Yeah whichever allows you the most speed and comfort is what to go for. It will dictate what types of phrases you’ll be able to play. That turns off a lot of people, but the reality is that our heroes have mostly accepted this and it’s why they play what they play.

1 Like

Just start doing that tremolo and try to move it to the next string with out changing the fundamental motion of it. It’ll be sloppy which is fine. Just try to tell your body “The tremolo is my base” while making attempts to cross strings with it. Once you figure out how to make it feel even a little normal than you can start listening to it and trying to weed out noises and oddities as you see fit. Let it be messy at first and maybe even for a while. Just think “relax” and “tremolo is my base”

1 Like

The scale playing indeed looks hoppy, as yourself and others have already pointed out.

Again as noticed by others you have a good starting point with that tremolo example, and you should start trying to play phrases that work with your “tremolo motion”.

I’d start by trying phrases that exclusively change after downstrokes (“DSX phrases”), then try some that only use upstroke string changes (“USX phrases”). Check which option feels most comfortable: that will gives us some insights on what your “primary motion” could be.

To get started and keep things simple, even just moving between 2 adjacent strings could be sufficient.

Let us know how it goes!

PS: your “single string playing” video links again to the scale example, so you can edit the link when you get a chance. Knowing the current status of your single string playing will certainly be useful additional info :slight_smile:

Thanks Tommo, I will try. So DSX phrases would be ones where I switch to a strings after a downstroke, regardless of if it is ascending or descending? right? So a DSX phrase would involve an odd number of notes on one string and then a string change? And conversely an USX phrase would be an even number of notes before the change?

Or I guess to further complicate things you could switch the U/D phrase designation by starting with an upstroke instead of a downstroke and vice versa?? I have never broken down phrases in this kind of methodical way before, and it is going to take a whole new way of looking at the actual lick, as well as applying all new technique.

I feel like I am starting to learn all over again, and experiencing all the frustrations that went along with it the first time! (remember when we all were trying to lean to play an F or Bb chord?!?)

I fixed the link in the video, thanks for pointing that out.

1 Like

I still can’t play and F or Bb chord :rofl:

I think you are getting the idea! I oversimplified things a little, assuming that for now we just want to do alternate picking and not include sweeps, pulloffs, hybrid picking etc.

Under these assumptions, I would indeed call “DSX” a lick that only changes strings after a downstroke (regardless of direction), and same thing with “USX” and upstrokes.

As you correctly point out, there are quite a few options especially when you allow for starting with upstroke. But in practice if you go through the pickstrokes of your chosen lick one-by-one you will immediately know whether the string changes are all of the type you want, or if you need to move some notes around or modify the lick to have just the one string change you want.

Thanks for doing this! I think the single string example here has the same problem as your scalar example: you are using a bouncy motion instead of the “simpler”, more linear motion demonstrated in your tremolo.

So before even worrying about string changes you may want to try the single string stuff with the same motion as the tremolo example. Let us know how that goes :slight_smile: