Would You Rather Have Been In Guns 'N Roses or Metallica?

If you could have had Slash’s place in Guns 'n Roses or Kirk Hammet’s place in Metallica back in the late 80s and early to mid 90s which would you choose?

At the time I loved both bands but I was a bigger fan of Metallica. But now that I’m older, I think being in Guns ‘n’ Roses would have been more fun because there was more of a range of different styles of music you could play in GNR and I think I liked the audience of GNR better than Metallica’s audience. Also, after And justice For All, Metallica’s music got a lot simpler and less interesting. I loved the Use Your Illusion albums though.

Guns n Roses for me. I was a huge fan of them growing up, and still love them and actually think Slash has gotten even better on guitar over the last 10 years. I think Slash is one of the great British-American hard rock guitarists of our time.

No contest, Guns n’ Roses. Metallica was a groundbreaking, innovative, genre-defining thrash metal band before they all died in an unfortunate tour bus accident not long after recoording …And Justice For All. GNR was the biggest, most self-indulgent rock and roll band of their era famed for their wild partying and adoring groupies. How is this even a question?

1 Like

If it was replacing Izzy this would be a tougher question. But I’m going to go against the crowd and say Metallica. Think about it, you might be able to influence the musical direction of Metallica post-Puppets era and hopefully the production as well :slight_smile: GnR will implode no matter what. With both bands there’s going to be personality and substance issues to deal with but GnR was miles away more dysfunctional.

The correct answer is replacing Tommy Skeoch when he left Tesla…damn you Dave Rude! (not really, Dave’s an awesome guy).

Another way of thinking about it:

Who would you rather be stuck on a tour bus with, Axl or Lars?

1 Like

I’m guessing Lars wouldn’t demand his band members sign non-disclosure agreements!

Definitely guns here. It’s funny, I loved Metallica back in the day but can’t stand anything after masters. My band likes to cover a couple of the older songs and I absolutely hate playing them. Never thought Kirk was very good. I mean he wrote some okay solos on the ride the lightning album but mostly just feels like playing slop with fast pentatonic riffs when covering them.

Definitely Metallica. I would have made sure they never got derailed and made that mess, the Black album continuing down that path of mediocrity :rofl:

1 Like

I would have done terrible things if it meant I could have been involved in the making of this cinematic masterpiece.