Wrist motion and muting

Not sure if this has been brought up before but if it has i apologise.

My question is about muting when using wrist motion. If you use wrist+rotation i know you can mute with the side of your picking hand but when your anchor points are the palmheels, how do you properly mute the strings between the pinky heel and the string you are playing?

I always get a lot of string noise especially when ascending to a higher string. Is this more of a left hand problem maybe?

Thoughts on this is much appreciated!

2 Likes

Hey! Not sure if you’ve tried a search for wrist / muting, but I did find this which seems like it may be pretty relevant:

The checklist itself I think will be helpful if you haven’t seen that page yet (it has lots of good photos, walking through step by step). And that forum topic about it has some further discussion on muting too. Let us know if that’s helpful at all, and if not we can follow up here and try to clarify further!

We’ll also be adding some chapters to the Primer covering forearm motion (including combination w/ wrist) in more detail, which may address some of this in more detail. Those chapters should be up in the next few days.