Wrist placement USX

I have a question about wrist placement with Wrist motion USX. I’ve watched the videos multiple times and the one thing I’m having trouble is where to place the two points on your wrist. I know that Troy says to put the two points on your strings. My problem is at that point I am always muted. Would it be better to place my wrist on my bridge?

You’re doing it right, this technique affords muting by moving on and off the bridge. Just move more of your flesh onto the bridge until the string you’re playing rings :slight_smile:

Hey, it might be best to post a video for feedback for this sort of thing as it depends on a few factors.
If you are using the trigger style grip, you can use the split palm method, so the thumb heel is on the strings below the one you are picking but doesn’t mute the note you are trying to pick. If it is, I’d suggest moving back ever so slightly to find that sweet spot.

If using one of the more extended grips with more supination, the thumb heel doesn’t rest on the strings and there are a few options as to what you can do here. You can place the hand in such a way so that you only mute the notes lower than the one you are picking with the palm. This may need a slight adjustment in approach angle to achieve.
You can also place your hand on the bridge very close to where it makes contact with the strings to get that sort of semi muted sound.

I think a video might be best as you can see there are a few options and your pick grip and arm position/supination all affect muting of string noise or muting of the string you are picking.

You’re absolutely right. I will post a video once I can. I started to using the trigger grip. most of my guitar life I have always used extended trigger. I figured I would try something different to see what I feel suits me the best.

2 Likes

Sounds good! When going through the primer, I did the same. I started out with the trigger grip and also the other grips from the using more supination video. I learnt a lot from trying the trigger grip. I could get that fast and smooth, on one string, but struggled when using the angle pad grip doing the same escape motion, even though that is the grip I mostly use! So there is a lot to learn from the different grips and arm setups!

Anyway, not to go off topic haha. With the trigger you can then try the split palm setup. You’ll be able to find the sweet spot with a bit of experimenting and if not, post a vid and you’ll get some specific advice.
Good luck!

its been a while but i finally found something I can use to record some footage for you guys to review!

1 Like

Hi @DelaDirty! Thanks for posting!

Would you be able to post normal speed videos as well? Slow motion is useful to look at small-picture details, but normal speed is essential to evaluate the overall sound and smoothnes of the technique.

When you post the new vids, can you also include a video of your fastest tremolo on one string? Don’t micromanage, just show us what it looks like when you go all out :slight_smile:

Filming instructions attached., looking forward to the new vids!

I completely forgot about posting for normal speed. Here are the vids in normal speed and my fastest tremolo at the moment. The second and last video are different grips but the same lick.

1 Like

@DelaDirty, you tremolo clip looks and sounds fantastic!

The logical next step for you is to try the pop tarts lick at the speed of the first video, using the motion of the first video :slight_smile:

Videos 2 and 3 use slower motions that are not a realistic representation of what happens at high speed (Walking VS running kind of thing).

Sounds good! I have been trying it at a faster speed what I have noticed is my left hand is having issues keeping up and I lift my fingers too high. Now that I have realized this setback I am working on retraining my left hand to stay closer to the strings.