Writing a song, looking for feedback

It was supposed to be atmospheric black metal.
I learned a lot while mixing, especially the ambient part at the beginning, but I’d like your opinion on the overall composition:

I put it on Soundcloud as it is too big to upload here.

2 Likes

I dig it, drums could be better, unless you’re going for the “black metal production value” lol. Reminds me of Book of Black Earth a little bit!

1 Like

Thanks mate,

The drums were actually written in MIDI file by my drummer - there’s a lot of humanization to do, and I didn’t touch post processing at all, so you are absolutely correct about the production.
I think I’ll still work on them though, just to make them sound more natural.

1 Like

I did some changes to the mix, turned the drums down 4db, guitars and synths -2db, made some changes to the limiters, this should fix the issue with choppy drums;

Hey man, sounding good.
A couple of things that stand out for me, the double kicks could maybe do with a bit of eq to enhance the “click”, at the moment, it’s sounding a little muddy.
The toms could maybe do with a bit of a high or high mid shelf boost, around 6k wide bell or shelf from there.
Overall I do think the drums could come up a bit, not so much the cymbals, but kick, snare and toms. If you do boost the click of the kick and boost around 6k on the toms, they should cut through without having to increase volume too much.
I’d have a look at the low end of the toms also, are the low frequencies quite muddy? I’d use a gate or edit them so that they don’t resonate so much. If they are left to ring out, those frequencies will combine and create mud.

These are just my opinions of course! Good luck with it!

1 Like

Also, in some sections, the hats seem very loud in comparison to the crashes and other parts of the kit. I’d probably bring them down a bit.

1 Like