Yamaha Pacifica 112v - Restoration

Hello guys! I wanted to restore/upgrade my first guitar for a while. It has great sentimental value to me and I always wanted to have a decent guitar in Drop C, so why not?

I want to turn it from HSS to H, with a single volume pot and nothing else from electronics. I was considering putting a Seymour Duncan JB or a Gibson 490R. What volume pot would you suggest?

And now the tougher questions. I want to upgrade the nut, tuners and bridge. What would you suggest me without spending more than 200 euros overall?

Thanks in advance!

1 Like

500k ohm pot is standard with humbuckers.

1 Like

gotoh locking tuners, graphtech nut, some kind of Wilkinson if its a trem or hipshot .

1 Like

@Thegent any specific brand suggestions?

@Judmeister It’s a standard trem S-Type guitar. Should I look for anything specific in dimensions?

CTS is popular as a high quality pot. Other contenders are Bourns and the Gibson ones are good. Avoid Alpha - they just don’t turn as smoothly.

Other considerations are taper - audio vs linear. Most use audio taper.

Also - high friction vs low friction. Typically players want high friction in the tone position and low friction in the volume position.

EVH has pots I believe however I have no experience with those. My guess is they are high quality given the company.

most of the after market stuff were created as a drop in replacement so should match up nicely. You can get a measure of the overall dims and where the mounting screws are just to double check to see how they line up with the new one you settle on. since it mounts above the body shouldn’t be an issue. The string spacing should be the same as well. need some pics after you get it updated.

Im pretty sure EVH are bourns style.

Oh, that a great idea!
I miss my old pacifica so much!

Thanks so much for the info @Judmeister , I’m not very much into modding, back in my band days I always trusted techs for the whole process. Of course I’ll post here some pics, before and after as well!

@Hadalpelagiclife It’s a decent guitar for the money and I hope it can get even better with a few upgrades. I need it for a prog metal project I’m recording, can’t wait to have it ready.

1 Like

Nothing to add but a request for pictures when you’re done - my first guitar was a natural finish 112, too.

2 Likes

Heh, literally the first electric I ever picked up and played with intent to learn was a Yamaha Pacifica borrowed from a buddy when Rocksmith came out for xbox 360… at 30odd years old :blush: so bit of a late starter.

I didn’t expect to get so much interest about an old dusty guitar made in Korea 15 years ago. I’ll post here more often regarding the whole process. Thanks everyone!

I’m trying to find a photo of my first ever gig, I played with this guitar. I’ll post it when I find it.

2 Likes