Yep, this is the end

That’s it.
I sold my keyboard, my guitar and everything music related. You know they say ‘Art in not for poor’. Well, they are damn right…

“We don’t read and write poetry because it’s cute. We read and write poetry because we are members of the human race. And the human race is filled with passion. Medicine, law, business, engineering, these are noble pursuits and necessary to sustain life. But poetry, beauty, romance, art, music, love, these are what we stay alive for!

To quote from Whitman,
O me! O life! Of the questions of these recurring; of the endless trains of the faithless… of cities filled with the foolish; what good amid these, O me, O life?" Answer; That you are here - that life exists, and identity; that the powerful play goes on and you may contribute a verse.

That the powerful play goes on and you may contribute a verse!

What will your verse be?”

~N.H. Kleinbaum, Dead Poets Society

4 Likes

I did much the same a few years ago. Gave up guitar and my sold all my then hobby music production gear. Slowly though I got a nagging desire to buy a new guitar and carry on. I will never be very good, but theres something in me that seems to need to do it.
You might find that you miss it more than you think.

If not, I hear golf is a nice hobby :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I already miss my guitar. I have plenty of projects unfinished. But I need something to eat, and I need to pay my debts.
It’s the second guitar I buy and sell soon after. Everytime it’s the same… I know that I can’t afford it but… hell, I don’t know how people live without music.
I guess I need more RedLabel :confused:

1 Like

Let it be. No need to feel down or sorry about it. I’m sure you made the right decision for yourself. Treat it as a journey and you’ll come around to it again. Let today be a source of motivation when you find another guitar in the future and sing about it.

3 Likes

This is heartbreaking. I guess i was born with a silver spoon because i could never imagine to give up something i love just for some hundreds of dollars.

I am sorry that your situation is so severe. Dont give in!

6 Likes

Really sorry to hear :frowning:

Good luck I hope you are back on your feet soon!

3 Likes

I am confident that you will have another guitar (likely a good used guitar) within a year. But the interesting question becomes, “is there something else to do in that time interval to advance musically?” For example, do you wish to learn recording software, study composition, write compositions (with loops), etc.? I think your next guitar will be here before you know it, but perhaps this is a great time to learn something that is important while the immediate gratification of a guitar is away.

This analogy is weak, but I notice that sometimes I do much more interesting work when I don’t have a WiFi connection.

Good luck, and I look forward to hearing Of what I believe is your third guitar.

2 Likes

I call this the inverse relationship between the amount of words one types on a forum and the notes one ends up playing on the guitar.

I agree with you; there’s no need to be either too optimistic or pessimistic about the whole ordeal, but you can treat it as an opportunity which thankfully is neither of those things to begin with- what you do with it will take care of what it happens to be called later. An opportunity to do nothing even- that’s not always bad either.

2 Likes

Yeah, kinda.
I started to work with my abandoned programming projects. Sound processing related stuff.
I still have my Francine. I hope I’ll get some opportuniy to finish it. It’s not a guitar I would ever sell (since noone would want to buy it at the first place) .

Ho-ho-ho.
It’s not Christmas but.
I finished my Francine. It’s ugly. It’s uncomfortable, almost impossible to play, but - hey - it can make some sounds!

I saw a question on this forum: how long does it take to return to your playing level after a break. Well, I spent a half a year without a guitar, so now I could answer this question. For now (1st day), I feel like I had never played guitar before. I will try to reach my previous limits. Let’s see how long would it take.

Another interesting question is imposrtance of gear. My guitar is not even near close to factory manufactured one, so… I’ll try my best to prove that you can play fast on any wood log with strings ) Or I’ll prove that it’s impossible ))

Anyway, I’m back!

3 Likes

Heck yeah, glad to hear it!
You don’t need high-end gear to express yourself. Check it…

3 Likes