Yngwie Am 5-String Arpeggio

Hi, i recently discoverd the yngwie DWPS approach and i am wondering how he would pick the descending part of a 5 string Arpeggio.
I found this lesson on youtube:

It looks like he is picking down up on the g string and d string and ends the arpeggio with an down stroke on the a string. But that would mean he plays the a on the g string twice?

Thanks!

1 Like

Short answer: you don’t! Yngwie almost never nails this line, not in this video and not on the classic REH video. This makes sense, because as you’ve figured out, it doesn’t really fit his picking technique.

One instance that comes close is that the end of “Far Beyond the Sun”, where there’s an audible pause before the final few notes of the pattern, after the downstroke string change. What is happening in that pause, we can’t know, but from these clips we can surmise it’s probably some kind of alternate pickstroke that is awkward for him and requires more time.

It’s sort of a moot point. The answer here is that if you want to play this line, you have to pursue other options. Use a two-way sweeping approach like Batio does:

https://troygrady.com/interviews/michael-angelo-batio-2017/clips/arpeggio-sweep-hi-gain/

Or, if you want to stick with dwps, refactor the left hand, maybe using a string skip in the Gilbert fashion, maybe with a pull off on the top string turnaround.

And probably lots of other choices!

2 Likes

In Yngwie land I see 3 options.

• Pull off from the E to the C note and use an outside pick stroke back to the A.
  • On the descent only, relocate the C note to the A string 15th fret which allows one more sweep note before hitting the root on a downstroke.
  • If you relocate the C on the way up as well, pick the A with a downstroke, hammer the C, and continue the sweep.
1 Like

That’s how I do it. I move the C to the 5th string.

I’ve shared this on here before, but this is my Yngwie impression. He plays this Never Die solo in your video @dr110 :slightly_smiling_face::upside_down_face::slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thank you guys! I know the MAB approach, that`s how i learned it :wink: