Yngwie Am 5-String Arpeggio

Hi, i recently discoverd the yngwie DWPS approach and i am wondering how he would pick the descending part of a 5 string Arpeggio.
I found this lesson on youtube:

It looks like he is picking down up on the g string and d string and ends the arpeggio with an down stroke on the a string. But that would mean he plays the a on the g string twice?

Thanks!

1 Like

Short answer: you donā€™t! Yngwie almost never nails this line, not in this video and not on the classic REH video. This makes sense, because as youā€™ve figured out, it doesnā€™t really fit his picking technique.

One instance that comes close is that the end of ā€œFar Beyond the Sunā€, where thereā€™s an audible pause before the final few notes of the pattern, after the downstroke string change. What is happening in that pause, we canā€™t know, but from these clips we can surmise itā€™s probably some kind of alternate pickstroke that is awkward for him and requires more time.

Itā€™s sort of a moot point. The answer here is that if you want to play this line, you have to pursue other options. Use a two-way sweeping approach like Batio does:

https://troygrady.com/interviews/michael-angelo-batio-2017/clips/arpeggio-sweep-hi-gain/

Or, if you want to stick with dwps, refactor the left hand, maybe using a string skip in the Gilbert fashion, maybe with a pull off on the top string turnaround.

And probably lots of other choices!

2 Likes

In Yngwie land I see 3 options.

• Pull off from the E to the C note and use an outside pick stroke back to the A.
  • On the descent only, relocate the C note to the A string 15th fret which allows one more sweep note before hitting the root on a downstroke.
  • If you relocate the C on the way up as well, pick the A with a downstroke, hammer the C, and continue the sweep.
1 Like

Thatā€™s how I do it. I move the C to the 5th string.

Iā€™ve shared this on here before, but this is my Yngwie impression. He plays this Never Die solo in your video @dr110 :slightly_smiling_face::upside_down_face::slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thank you guys! I know the MAB approach, that`s how i learned it :wink: