Yngwie style descending fours

I’m incorporating this into my lick lexicon warm-ups starting with an upstroke cause that’s how I DSX the crap out of it and don’t care if I’m swiping on the upstroke cause I cant hear it anyway. My picking isn’t the issue now it’s my fret hand trying to keep up which is a good thing I suppose.

1 Like

@Interestedoz
I listened to the original track and slowed it down, and from what I can hear, he’s playing it differently each of the three times he cycles through it.

The first time he plays is the time with the extra note, but I’m thinking that’s a ghost note that he’s hammering on, or an accidental one, but this is what I heard first time it’s almost the same as the “real” version you posted, except ends on 15 of the b before the two pick up notes on the e starting the lick again:

E:19-17-15—17-15————15———————15-17
B:————19——-(19)17-19—19-17-15-17-15——-

Second time through is almost the same as your first lick except the 17 and 19 are reversed on the b string:

E:19-17-15—17-15———15———————15-17
B:————19———17-19—19-17-15-17-19——

The last time I didn’t bother with because he just continues down the scale a little more.

1 Like

Love these kind of licks, I like to move the position too, mix it up, whole neck opens up, endless possibilities, just on the same string pairs. Them move it up and down, add more strings. Can get quite thrilling :grinning:

1 Like

Awesome Fossegrim.

On rep one - out of your 2 options I would go with (a) ghost note hammered.
The reason for this is that it (the extra note) does appear in other versions of the lick in other songs - but I am thinking it is as a result of him getting the lick to work rather than an intentional note (hence ghost note?)- but I am not totally sure with Yngwie! But that is the one I would go with. And when I hear him do this I hear a hammer on too.

On rep 2 -yep agree it is definitely different. I also agree with your transcription - the only thing is ’
that I can’t hear the 4th note in the rep - but am almost certain he plays is as you have written.

But he either misses it or it barely sounds - I put a “?” on it to indicate th eone I talking about - pardon my drawing :rofl:
tab4

So all this to me adds to the Yngwie mystique! Why would he play the licks the way he does - as opposed to a standard version like the one I did at the top (and Jeff Watson does in the Night Ranger song)?

Is it a result of:
(a) the picking mechanics and rules he uses to play with necessitating a variation in the standard pattern

or

(b) a deliberate elaboration of a standard circular four pattern?

agree as usual @Twangsta ! I just think these licks sound awesome - and the way he used them and structured solos around these type of motifs in the early days I think was incredibly melodic!

I hear it, but I think it’s another hammer on from nowhere, which is how he’s getting his picking to work. The reason why these notes are hard to hear is because they are missing the initial transient attack. Which is leading me to believe ghost/hammer on from nowhere.

I would say both. Yngwie is a more idiosyncratic player than a lot of people give hi credit for. Sometimes he’s just trying to cram notes in, sometimes it’s formulated.

Also when I hear him play it to speed, it almost has a triplet feel to it, which is leading me to believe some of those notes are not that audible, and that there are definitely pull offs in there. Where as your version of every note picked does have an even 4’s sound.

2 Likes

I would just like to add that I do not get swiping at all. I haven’t found the resources on this site to really cover what is entailed with this technique/motion – even in the Batio interview. Can anyone point me in the direction of the most illuminating/detailed material on swiping?

1 Like

SWIPING.

It’s a way to cross strings. Let’s say you are playing this;

D U D U D U
----------1-2-3—
1-2-3-------------

So on the stringchange portion, that 3 to 1, instead of going over the string to get to the outside of it, you go THROUGH the string from the 3, to the 1 (carrying on with that downstroke from the 3) in order to get to the other side of the string to do an upstroke. Although we try to mute it, it’s definitely a noticeable thwap! Kind of a cool effect sometimes, and a viable strategy to cross (smash) strings… I do this often lol

Actually the new course has a section on swiping that’s really well described - Metronomic Rock!

1 Like

This! Linked here

Also these from the antigravity seminar

1 Like