Yngwie-style performance

Hey guys! Wanted to share this YJM style performance I did for Guitar Interactive Magazine, from a YJM style-file (“Tech Session”) they asked me to do.

Being a CTC fan, I decided I’d try and do it using the YJM DWPS system. Not easy, considering I’m more of a 2-way Jimmy Bruno/Gambale kind of guy - the pickslant going against the direction of travel during those descending licks felt very strange!

As if that wasn’t enough, I’d practised it all on my PRS at home, only to turn up to the studio to find Yngwie’s ACTUAL GEAR (yes, the Strat and the Marshall used to belong to him!) waiting there for me to use! It was an incredible honour, but so intimidating - not to mention how weird the scalloped frets and crazy high action felt. It was like playing guitar on “expert”.

Anyway, here it is - be kind!

30 Likes

Nice job and playing! You had a nice Yngwie vibe going on and a nice tone. I enjoyed it! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Kick ass Nick! Was that a original 50w head, or the YJM 100? I see you are plugged in treble side? What were the volumes at? What was the overdrive? Gray 250? Yjm 308? The new red one?

Yjm 100 head has overdrive controls in the back. And attenuater knob n stuff.

Mic’d cab? Or running to a 2notes direct?

1 Like

Thanks dude! It’s a YJM100, using the internal overdrive. Volume was on full, attenuated down to just shy of ear-splitting :wink:

We mic’d a 1960B (G12-75Ts) with a single 57 in an iso booth. Didn’t stop it being monstrously loud though! Haha.

2 Likes

Sounds amazing man! lol. Great playing too. Thanks for the info. I’m a tone nerd. I used a yjm 100 for a little while. I had a feeling that’s what it was :grinning:

:bear:

1 Like

Fantastic playing and phrasing! Really got the Yngwie-scream in bends and vibrato. Solid performance too!

1 Like

First of all the tone is incredible! It sounds like the classic Yngwie tone, with maybe a tad more grind on it.

Your playing is insane, those legato lines sound amazing with that tone.

1 Like

Yea I saw this recently. Really awesome job, great playing!!

1 Like

Well I guess we know who to hire if the singer fires Yngwie this time!

Awesome work here!!

5 Likes

Great job! You really nailed the tone as others have mentioned. How agressive is your pick attack here? I would guess that Yngwie uses a very light touch but I am not sure!

You mean the people I’m seeing in guitar magazine videos aren’t driving up in Ferraris with their own vintage gear in a trailer? You’re shattering my worldview here, man! :wink: Slick playing, BTW, and I think I caught a glimpse of some of that Gambale technique in a few spots. :smiley:

So good!! Not just in a technical sense, but the attitude and vibe as well. Loved all the different ‘quotes’ throughout as well!

1 Like

Great Playing ! Fantastic !

Does Yngwie play with high strong action or was the guitar not set up properly ?

Wow man that’s just killer, YJM on YJM’s rig, you did it justice!

Inspiring!

1 Like

You are an amazing player and a very knowledgable presenter. I watch anything you do because you know your stuff: how to play and what to say. I watched your FreqOut demo several times to learn details about harmonics I hadn’t heard before and were not in the unit’s manual.

1 Like

Only thing missing is the occasional kick in the air and guitar spins/throws! Great playing! Sounding like Yngwie when he is having a good day!!!

2 Likes

Fantastic job! Really brilliant! Inspiring.

Hey Nick, was this a single take or did you glue together the best bits from various takes? Great stuff in any case!

side note. There is a guy on youtube who evidently covers Yngwies first album in one take lol.

3 Likes

I love this. fantastic job!!!