Yngwie's Autobiography: "I don't Pick Sweep"

Intersting read about Yngwie’s life. I recommend it for sure.

There are soooo many interesting things in the book. On of the things I thought was interesting was that he says he does not “Pick Sweep” because that would mean all the notes are played at the same time.

Wow I wonder what he calls it then.

So many great things in this book though… from creation of his pickups… never really satisfied with his sound until now… to when he told a random stranger that he wants a Marshall named after him. (the guy he said it to was the CEO and son of the found of Marshall amps) Funny the guy just shook his head.

2 Likes

This reminds me of every time an interviewer mentions sweeping in the vicinity of Marty Friedman.

They may not consider what they play sweeping but it most certainly is by the generally accepted definition of the concept. Not all sweeping has to be or needs to be Jason Becker level.

It’s like EVH saying “I don’t tap” “I do hammer ons and pull offs.”
But then again Motorhead played “Rock N Roll.”

2 Likes

Really funny about Mary Friedman sweep talk in his “vicinity”.

I also thought it was interesting that Yngwie in his book says that he has a “secret” to keeping his Strat in tune when using the whammy bar. But he isn’t saying. Funny how that old 70’s and 80’s secret stuff he won’t let go of.
Thank god for this site because Yngwie isn’t forthcoming regarding his playing.

1 Like

That’s for sure. His instructional videos are kinda pointless for learning. Compared with EJ or Gilbert who at least try to explain things.

1 Like