Yngwie's effortless right hand?

I’m at a similar place, I’m relearning all the songs I tried much earlier, I thought it was great at the time, but boy was I wrong :joy:

Even now, with a little ACDC skirmish, I was attempting, his vibrato and general energy are unbelievable. I think this is true for SRV, YJM and Angus Young; I can’t think of many others who play with such intensity and precision other than the classical musicians. This kind of commitment needs serious motivation and gumption.

1 Like

Well and thats kinda the general mystique with all these guys. They obviously have to be relaxed. There’s no way you play on that level and be riddled with excess tension. So how the hell do you play with the intensity of SRV and NOT be full of tension? Thats probably my biggest hurdle to overcome before I make the next leap in my playing

1 Like

Speaking of learning to relax. Did y’all catch this gem from another post?

1 Like

I think a lot of this kind of thing is reaching perfection at the point of collapse. Just staying under the threshold, but also each style is different and the stamina is a result of the condition of how you live it.

A lot to be drawn from martial arts I suppose. It doesn’t develop overnight nor can you fake it for one odd performance, this has to be a way of life, day in and day out, it’s how and what you do, and that just becomes who you are.

I guess you really have to enjoy all of it, some days just keep pushing and other days it feels on autopilot and you’re just on for the ride.

1 Like

I think this sort of video is for folks who are not practising hard enough or not further into there development and need a peek into what may come, I’m not sure I get any value from it.
About applying pressure for me it’s about saving my frets and applying the right judo to get the desired effect with least amount of energy wasted.

But it’s like happiness, all these people telling you to be happy, it doesn’t happen that way, you can wish for it but you can’t get by any direct instruction or action.

Happiness is purely a side effect of doing some other activity that is meaningful to you, often that activity involves real effort and pain. So in a way, I see these accomplished artisans as people who have attained nirvana after years of suffering. Suffering is a very negative word, I suppose there are two kinds of suffering, the good kind and the bad kind, I’m talking about the good kind just to be clear :joy:

1 Like

I would venture to say if Kiko Loureiro finds it useful and practices it daily, then a mere mortal such as myself may also find some value in it lol

1 Like

No doubt Kiko is an institution and everybody is entitled to their …

I’m just an arrogant fool sometimes :slight_smile:

1 Like

Admitting you have a problem is the first step to recovery :rofl:

No you’re right. Everyone’s gotta find what works for them. Again, being self taught, I only very recently began to explore the idea of playing with as little tension as possible. So I find something like this incredibly valuable. The validation that it brings coming from such a badass helps as well lol

1 Like

You know the only reason I said that was because I thought it would be obvious :slight_smile:
I guess I take certain things for granted, I don’t disagree with him at all, just that it’s was not a particular insight I ever needed. I forget we’re all at different points on our paths. We are all aware of different things, and this hive mentality will enrichen us all.

1 Like

Absolutely. Glad such a forum exists to help us all along our journey!

1 Like

I dont believe Yngwie has ever had a high action, it’s amyth in my opinion, what makes you think he has a high action is the scalloped frets, there’s no way he could play that fast on high action, he actually has a very low action, and probably did have all his life

@szymonwoj1 From the angles I’ve seen in old videos, his string height to the frets (thus negating any effect the scalloping might have) seems very high to be a “shred” guitar. This hasn’t been validated directly by him or a tech (as far as I know), but other people have noticed the same thing. There’s plenty of talk about this online, including on this forum (wouldn’t be surprised if @Twangsta chimed in).

Furthermore, I’ve actually tried it myself, on a strat. 8 gauge strings tuned to Eb with low action is just a sloppy mess from what I recall, the high action actually made it playable.

1 Like

I’m not authoritative enough to know Yngwie’s setup, but there is an interview somewhere along the space time continuum with Steve Vai talking about the respect he had for Al Di Meola after picking up his Les Paul with “action THIS high” as he put it. And although he isn’t a “shredder”, I’ve heard similar stories about Pat Martino playing with absurdly high action and 15 gauge strings. And he absolutely burns.

Check the guitar interactive interview done if I remember at the bach museum. I think that the interviewer is a member here and terrific player too. There was a revealing remark on the action, not to mention Malmsteen noodling away unplugged on ridiculous action unphased.

Edit: found it…Hendrix museum :slight_smile:

There should be no doubt after this interview.

2 Likes

Loving this thread by the way. Just on the scalloped fretboards I dont believe Yngwie used them during his early years when I would argue he was at the zenith of his picking prowess. Just an interesting observation.

Also I have been astounded at how accurate Yngwie’s Alcatrazz runs are when slowed down to 25% speed. For me this is how I know how close I am to playing these licks - I record myself then slow the recording down . It really shows you how accurately you are playing compared to Yngwie. It is quite a confronting this to do! I am not nearly as accurate as I think I am LOL

2 Likes

I do the same thing, been living with that vid for a while in transcribe now :slight_smile:
Scallops don’t help anything other than playing with higher action and bends, the rest is actually easier on a non-scallped neck.

2 Likes

I would love to play the YJM strat. I feel like having that would force me to relax my technique.

1 Like