Yo Onityan - INSANE picking technique on this fella

No idea how I haven’t come across him before - I don’t see him discussed here either when doing a quick search.

Looks like he’s got a lightly supinated DSX/DBX with some thumb/index motion similar to Paul Gilbert or Remy Hansen.

He gets a lot of elbow going in his really fast runs here - although it’s a much earlier video. Also seeing a fair amount of circular picking.

4 Likes

Wow he’s amazing! He’d be another cool interview since he seems to have quite a few motions he goes between. Far from a mechanical one-trick-pony :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That would be cool, maybe not too difficult to get ahold of either - he advertises lessons on his instagram@Troy if you’re looking for some interview ideas.

That’s awesome, he’s seamlessly switching between quite a few different joint motions and combinations

1 Like

This one reminds of of Anton Oparin’s approach to Get out of my Yard

3 Likes

The first time I ever saw him was his cover of Viking Kong by Racer X - it is monstrous!!!

3 Likes

Little update on this after watching him a while, and thinking about the runs he’s doing - I think he’s primarily a very clean economy/circular picker and the primary alternate picked runs are with elbow.

Him and Rick Graham make me wonder if I even want to mess with alternate picking as intensely as I’ve been trying to because I naturally gravitate towards economy, and have started in on practicing it more intentionally with Rick Graham’s material.

2 Likes

Your economy picking seemed rock solid as far as I can remember. No harm in learning other methods if you have the time to spare, but if you find you gravitate more towards economy, maybe seeing how far you can take that could be a better use of time?

You could always practice other methods for any specific things you want to do that you find economy isn’t feeling right for.

1 Like

I think it really is more natural for me, to the point I had to retrain myself because I wasn’t noticing when I was slipping into economy trying to do faster alternate picked runs.

Pushing myself on less natural feeling techniques has helped my playing a lot, I think, but it’s at the point that I feel like I’m being stubborn with it. Definitely seems like it’s time to try leaning into the economy approach more intentionally and see how much I can refine it.

Players like Rick and Yo are plenty of inspiration to get me going. I hauled off and got almost all of Ricks instructional material to dig through for ideas.

2 Likes

What would be the cons to leaning into your economy style? I know AO has mentioned it’s not as stable since you technically have to arrange the right number of notes per string for it to work and the difference in string gauge can mess ppl up. Are there others ?

Not speaking for @cmcgee11235 , but the common criticism is that the notes can have noticeably uneven attack and timing compared to pure alternate picking. However, this argument is kinda moot when you are good enough at economy (plenty of threads of economy players here that are unreal).

Planning out the phrases I think is the only real argument, and IMO it would be enough to not want to get into it. I dabbled with a similar issue (perhaps worse) when trying to learn fingerstyle bass, and planning out the fingering just felt like a grind.

1 Like

I think the planning out phrases argument doesn’t apply any more to economy (at least two way economy) than it does to 2WPS - and maybe even to DBX because shifting into sweeps is more natural from two way economy style.

As far as 2WPS with a primary pickslant vs economy - Planning always comes down to anticipating outside vs Inside changes and how your style approaches them. I’ve played lines with economy I thought I was alternate picking because my right hand was subconsciously defaulting to that on ascending outside changes (the sixes in Technical Difficulties for example). And I think getting used to the patterns with 2WPS can make things similarly subconscious.

I think you can get good enough with these styles that they feel about as natural as swiping.

EDIT: I’m also going to say as far as the planning argument - realistically speaking - 0% of players are improvising with totally new picking patterns on the spot and playing them correctly the first time. Even Guthrie Govan - he just has an immense vocabulary and a great ability to chain that together into awesome phrases and lines.

The hand sync alone is going to be unique for every line you come up with and if you haven’t played a similar pattern before it’s hard to imagine that would work out well.

1 Like

Yeah, I think this was demonstrated throughout the interviews here. Maybe not consciously planning, but the majority of shred speed interviews showed a primary single escape that was for the most part, stuck relatively close to.

1 Like

Even without CtC material I think it’s been long known very strong players have a lot of “building block” patterns and tends to be what they focus on in their instructional material (they just rarely, if ever, get into the specifics of how to master these patterns CtC style).

I still remember trying to improvise fast runs and asking my teacher as a teenager how I get from being able to play certain lines fast to being able to play everything I can think of fast and fluidly and he just laughed and said “you realize they all just have a huge amount of fast patterns that they practice and combine? That’s not all totally out of nowhere because it’s improvised”

2 Likes

heck ya there wouldve been a point in time in my life i wouldve listened to that guy, gives me that chris impellitteri/rustycooley vibe. i never really thought using elbow was a good idea when i was younger so i never went for it, but it seems to work. :smiley: