You have one hour only, who would you pick for a teacher?

Troy Grady all the way…

7 Likes

I take lessons with different teachers in search of specific information, and at 49, I’ve taken (and given) a lot of lessons. So I don’t want to single anyone out as better than another, either for me or for someone else. But, I would like to give a shout out to Chris Brooks for the clarity of his Yng-Way teaching (I own the videos and now the book). At the kindle price it’s an amazing supplement to Troy and the team’s consistently amazing and generous work. Thanks gang. Peace, Daniel

4 Likes

He deserves a fair bit of credit for that pun alone.

3 Likes

Vai - :alien:

He seems to be able to teach what he plays, which is a totally different skill. IMO, most awesome players aren’t great teachers, because so much of their technique is now in the realm of unconscious - competance.

1 Like

Pebber Brown. He comes across as a tough love type teacher on his videos on the internet but he also is very knowledgeable and could probably spot 87 flaws in my playing to work on right away. So an hour would be a
good start with him. on “what to work on first”.

But he’d probably fixate on the 1 of those 87 things that’s related to whatever is pissing him off that day. And then spend the rest of the hour ranting about all the people who don’t listen to him when he tries to teach them that one thing. :wink: I agree Pebber has lots of good information, but I’m skeptical how much you’d get out of him if you were limited to just one hour. :wink:

1 Like

Troy Grady
He is absolute amazing player. The quality and energy of his tone with the accuracy at that speed is killer. Can’t be higher on my list. :+1:. All what he plays sounds better with more balls than original. Truly awesome.

4 Likes

Doug Aldrich! I have studied his playing for years. Incredible guitar player!

Teemu Mäntysaari

He came across as a really good teacher in the clips with Troy and Wintersun is one of my favorite modern metal bands.

3 Likes

In addition to Troy, Michael Angelo Batio would be another great choice.

I think I’d actually want to utilize the hour to get familiar with a style I don’t play at all, which would be Flamenco, and I’d probably do some research on who is highly regarded in the flamenco world as a teacher.

If there’s anybody who can really teach crosspicking technique that’s something I struggle with so…yeah it might be @Troy, hah. I know and respect he’s too busy to give private lessons these days, but it would be a fun give away or something if he ever offered to. Maybe open like 10 one-time spots and do a raffle or contest or something, then livestream the lessons, I don’t know, just brainstorming, but could be fun.

Also I agree that I don’t think the best players make the best teachers all the time. They might share some really cool insights but not necessarily be able to provide the best guidance - obviously it varies. The ability to explain, communicate, show, give guidance, help problem solve, etc, it’s all different than being able to play really well. I’ve known some awesome players that really struggle to put things into words.

And I think it’s great to acknowledge that different teachers have their different specialties, nobody is really a one-stop-shop, do it all kind of guy.

Oh and Rick Graham. :rofl:

1 Like

If Troy is not available, I would settle for Marty Friedman.

2 Likes

Al DiMeola - I don’t know much about jazz and I love his style of jazz fusion. He’s also an amazing player.

4 Likes

I feel like a lot of these guys do not even know what they do mechanic-wise, and they cannot really teach what they do not know. So Troy all the way. Or Martin Miller

The more I listen to Martin Miller talk, the more I wonder what sort of gems he’ll be dishing out when he’s John McLaughlin’s age.

3 Likes

huge influence on me and probably is my fav guitarist. I discovered him at the age of 15 when I thought if it wasn’t crushing and brutal, it was weak. Even though I had that mind set, I knew this guy was different and loved it.

Andy Timmons - I’d love to know how he comes up with such incredible melodies, how he practises and ask all about his amazing tone!

2 Likes

Jason Richardson. I need to know his secret to such accurate and dead-on precision picking.

Love Chris Brooks a lot… props to him!!

But right now Troy is god.

1 Like

This is sort of a late addition, but I did take the lesson with Rick and it went very well! He is an incredible nice person and a wonderful teacher. Within a few minutes he pointed out simple things I was doing wrong and helped me easily correct them. I was already faster halfway through the lesson!

1 Like